HomeCounter-Racism Radio NetworkCounter-Racism Television NetworkArticlesProjectsCounter-Racism Work/Study ProjectShopping MallContact
Secure DonationsSecure Donations  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Log inLog in

Racism (White Supremacy) is a SYSTEM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Counter-Racism Work/Study Project Forum Index -> Following THE LOGIC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edward Williams
Site Admin

Location: I am from everywhere I've ever been and everywhere I've never been

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:39 pm    Post subject: Racism (White Supremacy) is a SYSTEM Reply with quote

Racism (White Supremacy) is a SYSTEM.

I'm in the process of reading a book entitled:
Racism in a Racial Democracy - The Maintenance of White Supremacy in Brazil.

The author interviews hundreds of people asking them hundreds of questions about:

(1) What is racism?
(2) Is there racism in Brazil?
(3) Asking people to point to racism.
(4) Etc.

This is an interesting book because, at least for me, it points to the utility of counter-racist language. After I am finished reading the book I'll put together a Counter-Racism Book Review and post it on the website. I've even considered writing a book that is a review of this book comparing the language used to counter-racist language. The author is a non-white female, Francis Winddance Twine who is an associate professor of sociology at the University of California, Santa Barbara and a research associate at the Centre for Urban Community Research at Goldsmith's College, University of London.

Here is an excerpt from the book that if you use counter-racist language and follow counter-racist logic you will not be confused. Counter-Racist Language and Counter-Racist Logic states racism (white supremacy) is a SYSTEM, meaning people who are classified as non-white are mistreated on the basis of that classification in all areas of people activity including Economics, Education, Entertainment, Labor, Law, Politics, Religion, Sex, and War, in all places and at all times.

Sonia: Here is Vasalia, there is no racism.
JW: There isn't any?
Sonia: Nothing that I've observed.
JW: Then why are the majority of the people of color poor?
Sonia: Poor? In Vasalia?
JW: in Vasalia. In Brazil.
Sonia: In Brazil, the majority of the Brazilian population is poor. The minority has the power.
JW: But there are whites who are not poor.
Sonia: There are whites who are not poor and there are blacks who aren't poor. Pele, for example.
JW: How many black landowners do you know?
Sonia: That's a good question because I don't know a single one [anxious laughter].

If you don't understand racism (white supremacy) what it is and how it works everything else that you understand will only confuse you. Neely Fuller Jr.

One of the first things that jumped out at me when reading this was that the "poor"/"rich" angle ain't gonna work when talking about racism (white supremacy). White people are going to blur that line big time. Non-white people are always talking about "racism is about economics" and the white people who practice racism (white supremacy) are raising the level of confusion for those non-white people who think racism (white supremacy) is about economics by giving more non-white people more money and more access to things that the racists (white supremacists) produce. the result will be that the non-white people running around here saying racism (white supremacy) is about economics will start saying...just like Sonia..."There is no racism". Even though there are "black" people who are not poor in Brazil the "black" people who are not poor still don't own any land. But according to Sonia there is no racism. Racism = White Supremacy. The practice of the mistreatment on the basis of color (racism) produces a product of white power over non-white powerlessness (white supremacy).

Another thing that jumps right out at me is the use of the word "black" in reference to people. I strongly suggest using only the word "non-white" when making reference to people who are not white and here's why. The white people who practice racism (white supremacy) run the SYSTEM of racism (white supremacy) with a criteria of white people and non-white people and they also understand that some white people will not be as smart as other white people and may not yet be able to practice racism (white supremacy) so those are just white people who will benefit from what the smarter and more powerful white people say and do. The majority of the non-white people will always have less than the majority of white people...less power, less food, less money, less non-color (whatever that means), less ability to do more things, etc. The business of racism (white supremacy) works off percentages. If the majority of white people have more than the majority of non-white people then the business of racism (white supremacy) is successful to a racists (white supremacists).

When non-white people accept that this is the case...not accepting that it is correct but accepting that this is the way the SYSTEM of racism (white supremacy) is run and also accept that this is incorrect behavior for the people of this universe...and say that is the way it is run and say things that counter the way it is run...and do things to counter the way it is run...only then will we be in the process of taking apart the SYSTEM of racism (white supremacy).

Can anyone else come up with any other things that jump right out at you about the conversation posted above that points out the utility of using counter-racist language and following counter-racist logic?
Trina

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Racism (White Supremacy) is a SYSTEM Reply with quote

Edward Williams wrote:
Racism (White Supremacy) is a SYSTEM.

I'm in the process of reading a book entitled:
Racism in a Racial Democracy - The Maintenance of White Supremacy in Brazil.

The author interviews hundreds of people asking them hundreds of questions about:

(1) What is racism?
(2) Is there racism in Brazil?
(3) Asking people to point to racism.
(4) Etc.

This is an interesting book because, at least for me, it points to the utility of counter-racist language. After I am finished reading the book I'll put together a Counter-Racism Book Review and post it on the website. I've even considered writing a book that is a review of this book comparing the language used to counter-racist language. The author is a non-white female, Francis Winddance Twine who is an associate professor of sociology at the University of California, Santa Barbara and a research associate at the Centre for Urban Community Research at Goldsmith's College, University of London.

Here is an excerpt from the book that if you use counter-racist language and follow counter-racist logic you will not be confused. Counter-Racist Language and Counter-Racist Logic states racism (white supremacy) is a SYSTEM, meaning people who are classified as non-white are mistreated on the basis of that classification in all areas of people activity including Economics, Education, Entertainment, Labor, Law, Politics, Religion, Sex, and War, in all places and at all times.

Sonia: Here is Vasalia, there is no racism.
JW: There isn't any?
Sonia: Nothing that I've observed.
JW: Then why are the majority of the people of color poor?
Sonia: Poor? In Vasalia?
JW: in Vasalia. In Brazil.
Sonia: In Brazil, the majority of the Brazilian population is poor. The minority has the power.
JW: But there are whites who are not poor.
Sonia: There are whites who are not poor and there are blacks who aren't poor. Pele, for example.
JW: How many black landowners do you know?
Sonia: That's a good question because I don't know a single one [anxious laughter].

If you don't understand racism (white supremacy) what it is and how it works everything else that you understand will only confuse you. Neely Fuller Jr.

One of the first things that jumped out at me when reading this was that the "poor"/"rich" angle ain't gonna work when talking about racism (white supremacy). White people are going to blur that line big time. Non-white people are always talking about "racism is about economics" and the white people who practice racism (white supremacy) are raising the level of confusion for those non-white people who think racism (white supremacy) is about economics by giving more non-white people more money and more access to things that the racists (white supremacists) produce. the result will be that the non-white people running around here saying racism (white supremacy) is about economics will start saying...just like Sonia..."There is no racism". Even though there are "black" people who are not poor in Brazil the "black" people who are not poor still don't own any land. But according to Sonia there is no racism. Racism = White Supremacy. The practice of the mistreatment on the basis of color (racism) produces a product of white power over non-white powerlessness (white supremacy).

Another thing that jumps right out at me is the use of the word "black" in reference to people. I strongly suggest using only the word "non-white" when making reference to people who are not white and here's why. The white people who practice racism (white supremacy) run the SYSTEM of racism (white supremacy) with a criteria of white people and non-white people and they also understand that some white people will not be as smart as other white people and may not yet be able to practice racism (white supremacy) so those are just white people who will benefit from what the smarter and more powerful white people say and do. The majority of the non-white people will always have less than the majority of white people...less power, less food, less money, less non-color (whatever that means), less ability to do more things, etc. The business of racism (white supremacy) works off percentages. If the majority of white people have more than the majority of non-white people then the business of racism (white supremacy) is successful to a racists (white supremacists).

When non-white people accept that this is the case...not accepting that it is correct but accepting that this is the way the SYSTEM of racism (white supremacy) is run and also accept that this is incorrect behavior for the people of this universe...and say that is the way it is run and say things that counter the way it is run...and do things to counter the way it is run...only then will we be in the process of taking apart the SYSTEM of racism (white supremacy).

Can anyone else come up with any other things that jump right out at you about the conversation posted above that points out the utility of using counter-racist language and following counter-racist logic?

Yes, what is a "Brazilian" ? "The "minority" has the "power"."
"Black landowners"
. "People of color". Those are just a few terms that jumped out at me.

Brazilian, what is that? Minority= nonwhite person= power-less person.
Black landowners?= nonwhite landowners? Nonwhite people don't own anything under the system of White Supremacy/Racism. "People of color"= all people have color. Exactly who are we talking about?

Trina
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Counter-Racism Work/Study Project Forum Index -> Following THE LOGIC All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: