HomeCounter-Racism Radio NetworkCounter-Racism Television NetworkArticlesProjectsCounter-Racism Work/Study ProjectShopping MallContact
Secure DonationsSecure Donations  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Log inLog in

"Informal but Official" Method

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Counter-Racism Work/Study Project Forum Index -> How to Counter Racism (White Supremacy) in the Work Place
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HelixHair

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 2:56 pm    Post subject: "Informal but Official" Method Reply with quote

If you ask a white person whether something is or is not the case, be sure you define, as precisely as you can, what that something is. If you do not define it precisely, and the white person you've asked is a Racist (White Suremacist), he/she may answer a different question than the one you have asked without you knowing it. This will be done deliberately to mislead you. You could later say or do things based upon an answer, especially in the workplace, that the Racist will plausibly deny he/she said ---and other racist suspects will back her/him up.

An example:
VOR: " My department has only half the staff it had when the deadline for Project X was set. Will there be a penalty for not making the deadline?"

Racist Suspect Supervisor "Mary" (in the presence of other people) : "No. I definitely understand about that."

Now, the VOR breathes a sigh of relief and walks away thinking that Mary is an understanding and “fair” supervisor (superior advisor)--- ”different” than most white supervisors.

Two weeks after the deadline has passed, the VOR's name appears on a list of workers whose productivity will be monitored for possible staff reduction because of not being “positioned to be productive.” The VOR tells the manager who gave her the list that Mary told her there would be no penalty for missing the deadline for Project X and, instead of attending the meeting for productivity monitoring, heads to Mary's office to ask her to clear up the mistake. But, Mary tells the VOR that being placed on the list is not a penalty. Mary says she is not sure how the VOR got the impression that she would be exempt from statistical reports and that the VOR should have checked with her (Mary) before making such inaccurate statements to other staff. Mary further tells the VOR that the list is not a "penalty" but a "report" of staff that may not be positioned to produce what is required of them....etc.

The VOR is later called to a meeting and has a letter placed in her file for not attending the mandatory meeting on productivity. The following week, the VOR is terminated for 1) Not being positioned to be productive; 2) Poor communication; 3) Missing the mandatory meeting. Now, even if "1" doesn't stick,"2" probably will and "3" definitely will.

This could have been avoided by wording the aforementioned question as follows:

VOR: "Will there be a penalty for not making the deadline?" By penalty, I mean any actions that would not have been taken if the deadline for Project X had not been missed and that could affect my:

*current or future pay or benefits, letter of recommendation, schedule, number of hours, job assignments, current or future positions, mandatory meeting, personnel files or any other factor that would affect any of the foregoing?

The VOR, in this situation, should ask such a question with several witnesses present to hear the question and the response. At least one of the witnesses should be a white person. Make a note of the date, time, specific location and witnesses of the question and the response. That way you keep it "informal" but it will meet all the requirements of occuring "officially." This is something I observed racist suspects doing---flying below the radar but keeping their weapons on. The VOR can use the method to fly below the radar but keep his/her armor on.

Last edited by HelixHair on Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:34 am; edited 3 times in total
Trina

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Put your armor on tightly Reply with quote

HelixHair wrote:
If you ask a white person whether something is or is not the case, be sure you define, as precisely as you can, what that something is. If you do not define it precisely, and the white person you've asked is a Racist (White Suremacist), he/she may answer a different question than the one you have asked without you knowing it. This will be done deliberately to mislead you. You could later say or do things based upon an answer, especially in the workplace, that the Racist will plausibly deny he/she said ---and other racist suspects will back her/him up.

An example:
VOR: " My department has only half the staff it had when the deadline for Project X was set. Will there be a penalty for not making the deadline?"

Racist Suspect Supervisor "Mary" (in the presence of other people) : "No. I definitely understand about that."

Now, the VOR breaths a sigh of relief and walks away thinking that Mary is an understanding and “fair” supervisor (superior advisor)--- ”different” than most white supervisors.

Two weeks after the deadline has passed, the VOR's name appears on a list of workers whose productivity will be monitored for possible staff reduction because of not being “positioned to be productive.” The VOR tells the manager who gave her the list that Mary told her there would be no penalty for missing the deadline for Project X and, instead of attending the meeting for productivity monitoring, heads to Mary's office to ask her to clear up the mistake. But, Mary tells the VOR that being placed on the list is not a penalty. Mary says she is not sure how the VOR got the impression that she would be exempt from statistical reports and that the VOR should have checked with her (Mary) before making such inaccurate statements to other staff. Mary further tells the VOR that the list is not a "penalty" but a "report" of staff that may not be positioned to produce what is required of them....etc.

The VOR is later called to a meeting and has a letter placed in her file for not attending the mandatory meeting on productivity. The following week, the VOR is terminated for 1) Not being positioned to be productive; 2) Poor communication; 3) Missing the mandatory meeting. Now, even if "1" doesn't stick,"2" probably will and "3" definitely will.

This could have been avoided by wording the aforementioned question as follows:

VOR: "Will there be a penalty for not making the deadline?" By penalty, I mean any actions that would not have been taken if the deadline for Project X had not been missed and that could affect my:

*current or future pay or benefits, letter of recommendation, schedule, number of hours, job assignments, current or future positions, mandatory meeting, personnel files or any other factor that would affect any of the foregoing?

The VOR, in this situation, should ask such a question with several witnesses present to hear the question and the response. At least one of the witnesses should be a white person. Make a note of the date, time, specific location and witnesses of the question and the response. That way you keep it "informal" but it will meet all the requirements of occuring "officially." This is something I observed racist suspects doing---flying below the radar but keeping their weapons on. The VOR can use the method to fly below the radar but keep his/her armor on.

Helixhair,

Thank you! That was very helpful and informative.

Trina
Edward Williams
Site Admin

Location: I am from everywhere I've ever been and everywhere I've never been

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. Very helpful. I would just like to add that another option is to ask the question via e-mail.

In a "corporate" environment e-mail is a good option for non-white people, in terms of getting what people say documented. There is a thread in this forum entitled Communication Using E-mail that explains basic configurations of your e-mail client to get delivery receipts, read receipts, and delete receipts of the e-mail you send.

Since e-mail is a company endorsed product, all communication through it is valid and can be used as evidence to eliminate any "poor communication" accusations and/or to confirm timely communications. You can also copy and/or blind copy others on the e-mail you send.

I can help with any additional e-mail configurations.
Steal My Soul

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess HelixHair has never worked in an office. Stuff like that happens to EVERYONE Helixhair. Not just people that aren't white. V_God is right about E-mail though. It is very important because it creates a solid paper trail from one person to another that can be examined by management.
Trina

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Virtual_GOD wrote:
I agree. Very helpful. I would just like to add that another option is to ask the question via e-mail.

In a "corporate" environment e-mail is a good option for non-white people, in terms of getting what people say documented. There is a thread in this forum entitled Communication Using E-mail that explains basic configurations of your e-mail client to get delivery receipts, read receipts, and delete receipts of the e-mail you send.

Since e-mail is a company endorsed product, all communication through it is valid and can be used as evidence to eliminate any "poor communication" accusations and/or to confirm timely communications. You can also copy and/or blind copy others on the e-mail you send.

Virtual_GOD,

What is blind copy?

Trina
Edward Williams
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Trina wrote:
Virtual_GOD wrote:

Virtual_GOD,

What is blind copy?

Trina

A "blind copy" functions by a first person sending an e-mail to a second person while "blind copying" a third person. The second person doesn't know the third person was copied on the e-mail but the third person knows the second person was copied on the e-mail.
Trina

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 2:17 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Virtual_GOD wrote:
Trina wrote:
Virtual_GOD wrote:

Virtual_GOD,

What is blind copy?

Trina

A "blind copy" functions by a first person sending an e-mail to a second person while "blind copying" a third person. The second person doesn't know the third person was copied on the e-mail but the third person knows the second person was copied on the e-mail.

V_GOD,

How do you "blind copy"? Show an example? Why would you "blind copy"?

Trina
Steal My Soul

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what he is trying to say is to write the e-mail, and instead of using the CC(Carbon copy) function that can be used to send it to multiple e-mail addresses and it shows all of the addresses you copied it to to the original sender(they know you sent it to management as well is to them), use the BCC(Blind Carbon Copy) function that can be found on most mail clients(outlook, thunderbird, yahoo, ect.) which does NOT show the addresses you sent it to to everyone. But I could be wrong
HelixHair

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Virtual_GOD wrote:

I agree that e-mail is usually the best method of documenting statements in the workplace. However, in some instances, it may not be. There are times when using it will alert Racist Man and/or Racist Woman to a VOR's Counter-Racist skill. This, of course, will target the VOR for greater mistreatment which the VOR may not be in a position to absorb at a given time. This is why, in a situation such as described in this thread, I suggest the "informal but official" method. I should have explained further that the VOR, when using the "informal but official" method should not request a special meeting but rather ask the question during a normal activity when the desired witnesses are present.

Also, I suggest that blind copies never be used. VORs should always try to avail themselves of Constitutional Due Process (5th and 14th Ammendments) to minimize harm done to them in the workplace. Keeping everyone aware of what evidence has been made available to whom, at all times, is a requirement of Constitutional Due Process. In a court, this is called a rule of "Discovery." Court is in session whenever anything is said that is witnessed by anyone besides the maker of the statement. It is extremely important for a non-white Counter-Racist to always bear this in mind.

Last edited by HelixHair on Wed May 12, 2004 2:09 pm; edited 4 times in total
HelixHair

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Steal My Soul wrote:
I guess HelixHair has never worked in an office. Stuff like that happens to EVERYONE Helixhair. Not just people that aren't white.

Logically, there is nothing that a Counter-Racist can constructively discuss about White Supremacy (Racism) with a person who states that it does not exist. Steal My Soul made that statement here(6th post from the top).

Please see this suggestion for discussing White Supremacy (Racism) with a person who has stated that it does not exist.

Last edited by HelixHair on Wed May 12, 2004 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Edward Williams
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Trina wrote:
Virtual_GOD wrote:
Trina wrote:
Virtual_GOD wrote:

Virtual_GOD,

What is blind copy?

Trina

V_GOD,

Trina

That was an example. Here is a link to a picture that may give you a better idea of how it works. All three questions were answered in the example given but I will attempt to answer them again.

Trina wrote:
How do you "blind copy"?

By placing the e-mail address of the person in the BCC (Blind Carbon Copy) area that you don't want the person in the CC (Carbon Copy) area to know is getting a copy of the mail.

Trina wrote:
Show an example?

Example in text above and picture given here.

Trina wrote:
Why would you "blind copy"?

When you want to send a mail to two people but do not want one person to know all the recipients. The person you do not want to know who all the recipients are should go in the CC area.
Trina

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I get it. Thanks for the example. Piece of cake.
Steal My Soul

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Virtual_GOD wrote:
Trina wrote:
Virtual_GOD wrote:
Trina wrote:
Virtual_GOD wrote:

Virtual_GOD,

What is blind copy?

Trina

V_GOD,

Trina

That was an example. Here is a link to a picture that may give you a better idea of how it works. All three questions were answered in the example given but I will attempt to answer them again.

Trina wrote:
How do you "blind copy"?

By placing the e-mail address of the person in the BCC (Blind Carbon Copy) area that you don't want the person in the CC (Carbon Copy) area to know is getting a copy of the mail.

Trina wrote:
Show an example?

Example in text above and picture given here.

Trina wrote:
Why would you "blind copy"?

When you want to send a mail to two people but do not want one person to know all the recipients. The person you do not want to know who all the recipients are should go in the CC area.

Didn't I already say that?
Edward Williams
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Steal My Soul wrote:
Didn't I already say that?

It is possible since we were describing the same thing. Trina needed clarification so I attempted to do so.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Counter-Racism Work/Study Project Forum Index -> How to Counter Racism (White Supremacy) in the Work Place All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: