HomeCounter-Racism Radio NetworkCounter-Racism Television NetworkArticlesProjectsCounter-Racism Work/Study ProjectShopping MallContact
Secure DonationsSecure Donations  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Log inLog in

The Dave Chappelle Experiment
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Counter-Racism Work/Study Project Forum Index -> Counter-Racism Science Project
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Dan Freeman



Joined: 12 Apr 2003
Posts: 650
Location: Wherever I'm sent.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:40 am    Post subject: The Dave Chappelle Experiment Reply with quote

Observed Phenomenon:

I usually never hear White people and non-people "agreeing" on how racsim/white supremacy works when we get together to talk about it.

But apparently, it seems Dave Chappelle and his popular show, has found a way for White people to sit down next to non white people and seemingly "agree" without the usual cursing, frustration, emotion, and all the other jenny-jones and jeraldo rivera-type of exchanges that usually occur when Race is the topic of conversation between Whites and non-whites.

Hypothesis:

What I suspect to be another important part of this experiment is my hypothesis that if a joke is considered funny by the majority of a large audiance consisting of both White and non-white people, there must be some common denominator or aspect of the joke that everyone AGREES upon, and therefore expressed by laughter.

Although many white people laugh in agreement to Dave Chappell's skits relating to Racism (White Supremacy), I suspect many of them will discourage logical discussion about HOW Racism (White Supremacy) works.

Instead those same white people who displayed "agreement" by laughing hysterically at Mr. Chappelle "skits" about Racsim (White Supremacy), will choose to "disagree" about those exact "skits" in a (constructive) logical context.

Experimentation:

After locating a thread on the Davechappelle.com message board titled:

Co-honkies That Watch Dave, White ppl that watch dave

I decided to attempt to begin a discussion in an attempt to find out exactly what white people found to be funny in Dave's skit about;

The NIGGAR family.

For those of you who saw it, it was about a family who appeared to be "white" while their last name was NIGGAR.

Intrestingly, at the end of the skit dave's character says to "Timmy niggar" (a white person) and his date while in an "upper-class" resaurant,

Quote:
QUOTE
"you two will get the best table a nigger ever got in here, hhahhahah"


I wanted to know from a white person, what they found funny about that joke in particular within the context of Dave's Niggar Family Skit, in an attempting to magnify the "puch-line" in order to obtain a more precise idea of what exactly "we" (white people and non white people) are lauging at.


Results:

This is My initial post to initiate discussion on the davechappelle.com message board.

Quote:
Very interesting thread.

Unfortunatly, I'm a nigger, so I don't get to say "I'm white" like the rest of you, Nevertheless, I'm intrested in what exactly white people think is funny about certain skits....

Now I understand Dave's show is in a "satire" format, however in order for the shit to be considered funny by a large audiance, there's gotta be some common denominator in the joke that everyone AGREES is worthy of laughter right?

I'm under the impression that this is what an audiance that's completly engulfed in laughter is reflecting.

What's intresting about this, at least to me, is that I usually NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER hear white people and non-people "agreeing" on how racsim/white supremacy works when we get together to talk about it.

But apparently, it seems Mr. Chappelle has found a way for white people to sit down next to non white people and seemingly "agree" without the usually cursing, frustration, confusion, and all the other jenny-jones, phil donahue type of exchanges that usually occure when Race is the topic of conversation between whites and non-whites.

Dave's covered a lot of ground with so many skits, so I'll take it one skit at a time.....

For example, let's start out with The NIGGAR family sketch

For those of you who saw it, it was about a family that appeared to be "whtie" while their last name was NIGGAR.

Intrestingly, at the end of the skit dave says to "Timmy niggar" and his date in an "upper-class" resaurant,

QUOTE
"you two will get the best table a nigger ever got in here, hhahhahah"

Everyone laughed. Naturally since the shit is humourous.

But I want to know specifically from a white person, what a white person finds funny about that joke in the context of Dave's Niggar Family Skit.

Just trying to get a better understanding.

Nothing personal, just business folks.

Thank you.

mad_scientist

http://www.davechapelle.com/bs/index.php?s=1f0abdd585db8c070b5463ba9b54f3f9&act=ST&f=2&t=1170&st=0

Quote:
QUOTE (mad_scientist @ Apr 12 2004, 02:01 AM)
I want to know specifically from a white person, what a white person finds funny about that joke in the context of Dave's Niggar Family Skit.

"stop analyzing it, laugh, and shut the fuck up"
- A White Guy(me)

http://www.davechapelle.com/bs/index.php?s=1f0abdd585db8c070b5463ba9b54f3f9&act=ST&f=2&t=1170&st=0


Quote:
whatever you say al sharpton or is it jesse jackson, i get so confused -DEF

http://www.davechapelle.com/bs/index.php?s=1f0abdd585db8c070b5463ba9b54f3f9&act=ST&f=2&t=1170&st=0

Quote:
QUOTE (mad_scientist @ Apr 12 2004, 03:07 AM)
JUSTICE meaning, A balance between people. Ensuring NO PERSON is mistreated, and the person who needs help the most, gets the most help.


that is the worse misrepresentation of the meaning of justice i have ever seen in my life
try using a dictionary
because it seems more like youre saying justice within equality more than just justice
and who even brought up white supremecy anyway?
think about these things before you go off an ANOTHER tangent -DEF

http://www.davechapelle.com/bs/index.php?s=1f0abdd585db8c070b5463ba9b54f3f9&act=ST&f=2&t=1170&st=0

Quote:
QUOTE (mad_scientist @ Apr 12 2004, 03:19 AM)
QUOTE (DEF @ Apr 12 2004, 01:17 AM)
whatever you say al sharpton or is it jesse jackson, i get so confused

My handle is Mad_scientist.

Why are you calling me "al sharpton" or "jessie jackson"?


i called you that because youre acting like a racial activist
all trying to stir up problems and halting the thread by making all the "scared white people" feel afraid to respond to your "why do white people find the NIGGER sketch funny?" question
if you dont see thats what youre doing then you have problems-DEF

http://www.davechapelle.com/bs/index.php?s=1f0abdd585db8c070b5463ba9b54f3f9&act=ST&f=2&t=1170&st=0

Quote:
ill give you the answer you want that will make you able to go off like you wanted to
"i like it when he says nigger because im white and i cant"
happy now?
now go on with your racial equality crusade that isnt needed in a place where people are just having fun and talking about a performer they admire and find humorous


EDIT: to alleviate any misconception, this is not how i feel -DEF

http://www.davechapelle.com/bs/index.php?s=1f0abdd585db8c070b5463ba9b54f3f9&act=ST&f=2&t=1170&st=0

Quote:
a white family with the last name of a hate filled racial appellation reserved for black people
whats NOT funny about that should have been your question
the way you worded it makes it seem like youre trying to draw out some kind of racial discussion
and that isnt needed

as far as being hostile?
im not being hostile whatsoever im commenting to what you said in a calm manner
if you mean when i said "shut the fuck up" then take into consideration that "please sir stop talking" doesnt exactly have the same impact


im not a hostile person nor am i acting hostile right now -DEF

http://www.davechapelle.com/bs/index.php?s=1f0abdd585db8c070b5463ba9b54f3f9&act=ST&f=2&t=1170&st=0

Quote:
Ok so back on topic now since MAD_ had to pull out his dictionary

Im white

But what REALLY make you white? White is a growing breed of self certified manupolitics who within thy self of transparent hostile acts of anger..... <--- Pretty much what MAD_ was just posting. Learn to laugh man. -Evil98Silvia

http://www.davechapelle.com/bs/index.php?s=1f0abdd585db8c070b5463ba9b54f3f9&act=ST&f=2&t=1170&st=0

Quote:
does anyone else find this person extremely annoying?
the little sheepish act youre putting on and this condescending attitude you have is getting old-DEF

http://www.davechapelle.com/bs/index.php?s=1f0abdd585db8c070b5463ba9b54f3f9&act=ST&f=2&t=1170&st=0

Quote:
im asking you this seriously
this isnt a joke
are you retarded?
the only person that is upset here is you
i think its hilarious
and stop trying to end the conversation just because youre sounding ignorant (in case you didnt notice, you are)
are you trying to say that you are upset because white people are laughing at a satire of racism? -DEF

http://www.davechapelle.com/bs/index.php?s=1f0abdd585db8c070b5463ba9b54f3f9&act=ST&f=2&t=1170&st=0

Quote:
Man, you are just TRYING to sound smart, but you really sound like a lonly guy that spends way to much time reading books and NOT understanding what you are reading. That kind of stuff is dangerous.
Do any of you know what the word Nigger means? If you look it up in a dictionary it means Lazy. Slave masters started calling the slaves this because they actually thought they were lazy. Its become a taboo word because of it. If I looked at a black guy and said "What's up Lazy!" he would probably say "I'm not lazy." Black people should try this sometime.
To answer you question Mad about why white people think the Niggar skit is funny, BECAUSE IT IS. You say white and black people are the same, but as soon as you see a group of multi-racial people acting the same you divide them up again by asking a stupid question like "why do white people find this funny." Don't you think your question is a little racist in itself? We are all different, regardless of skin color. What really seperates us is intellegence levels.
Try this. Watch Dave and enjoy. Life is too short to worry about what other people think. There are racists in the world and there will probably always be racists, but they are now the minority and we the majority. Let them live in their own ignorance. If we pay them no mind they will go away. How long can one shout at a wall before getting bored with shouting, but if the wall shouts back, he will be there forever.
Enough of the mushy stuff, back to the fun!!-Harrison23

http://www.davechapelle.com/bs/index.php?s=1f0abdd585db8c070b5463ba9b54f3f9&act=ST&f=2&t=1170&st=0

Quote:
And as for my race "I'm from None of your Damn business!" -Harrison23

http://www.davechapelle.com/bs/index.php?s=1f0abdd585db8c070b5463ba9b54f3f9&act=ST&f=2&t=1170&st=0

Suspicion solidified.

Replace White Supremacy with JUSTICE.

comments welcome.
_________________
Understanding is honoring the truth beneath the surface.


Last edited by Dan Freeman on Wed Dec 29, 2004 4:33 am; edited 9 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
James Jones
Guest





PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evidence

Pictured is.....clockwise

1. Tron from the Ci-tay
2. BitchIliveinafuckingtrashcan~Moderator of davechapelle.com Forum
3. DEF
4. ERNIE
Back to top
Edward Williams
Site Admin


Joined: 12 Apr 2003
Posts: 3079
Location: I am from everywhere I've ever been and everywhere I've never been

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

NECKST wrote:
Evidence

Pictured is.....clockwise

1. Tron from the Ci-tay
2. BitchIliveinafuckingtrashcan~Moderator of davechapelle.com Forum
3. DEF
4. ERNIE

Now that's interesting!
_________________
What is the reason YOU were born into a SYSTEM of INJUSTICE if not to replace it with a SYSTEM of JUSTICE?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Dan Freeman



Joined: 12 Apr 2003
Posts: 650
Location: Wherever I'm sent.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As of last night, the quoted thread above was deleted from the davechappelle.com message board.
_________________
Understanding is honoring the truth beneath the surface.


Last edited by Dan Freeman on Mon Dec 27, 2004 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
James Jones
Guest





PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

smallz wrote:
As of last night, the quoted thread above was deleted from the davechappelle.com message board.

smallz


The "Ask a Real White Guy" thread was erase also.

Here's the explanation:

http://www.davechapelle.com/bs/index.php?act=ST&f=5&t=1312&s=582aaa6623b3cc7117cba9fdb6fa15b6
Back to top
Dan Freeman



Joined: 12 Apr 2003
Posts: 650
Location: Wherever I'm sent.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I strongly suggest everyone observe the discussion about racsim/white supremacy on dave.chappelle.com.

Soon I suspect the thread will be deleted.

Quote:


DC Admin
BitchIliveinaTrashCan

Group: Admin
Posts: 1343
Member No.: 21
Joined: 2-January 04

I just went ahead and deleted two topics that got out of hand.

It's all about context and what is and isn't in poor taste.

I have tried to be flexible and let people discuss things of this nature on here but all threads that go this route will be deleted.

This is NOT the forum to debate race and who is and isn't a NIGGER.

I have asked that we forum members NOT use this word as much as it's been used.

I am specifically referring to VIRTUALGOD and Non-White Person.

If you guys want to go debate race then feel free to do that shit somewhere else but this is not the forum for that.

Believe me I would like to just BAN you two for not following the rules and not complying with requests to just refrain from using the word NIGGER in the context in which you are which is offensive.

Now since I'm a nice guy and believe BANNING is a last resort I will just give this as a last fair warning.

You two are free to enjoy this place but remember where you are and what we are here for. This is NOT up for debate.


Very intresting comments BitchILiveInATrashCan.

http://www.davechapelle.com/bs/index.php?s=89e01dc73bfeba4ce1095034a29ea16d&act=ST&f=5&t=1312&st=90#entry14970
_________________
Understanding is honoring the truth beneath the surface.


Last edited by Dan Freeman on Mon Dec 27, 2004 2:11 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Josh



Joined: 19 Apr 2003
Posts: 796
Location: Closer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"Now since I'm a nice guy and believe BANNING is a last resort I will just give this as a last fair warning. You two are free to enjoy this place but remember where you are and what we are here for. This is NOT up for debate. "



Am I on drugs?


I have seen a lot of things on the Dave Chappelle show, including graphic use of the word NIGGER.

Now I find out you can be banned for trying to find out who is and who isn't a NIGGER on dave Chappelle.com?

Are you sure we are talking about the same person?


Hmmm...

as usual, truth is stranger than fiction.

Josh
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Josh



Joined: 19 Apr 2003
Posts: 796
Location: Closer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neckst,

I clicked on the link but it was unavailable.

But guess what?

I didn't need to SEE it because the logic revealed the truth.

It was the 1st aspect of what a White person is:

HOW YOU FUNCTION--What you say and what you do.

I didn't even hafta see any photo of the second aspect of what a White person is:

Factors associated with how you function, pale skin, blue eyes...

It was like that scene in the Matrix were Cypher could look at a bunch of numbers and symbols (logic) and *know* what he was witnessing.

The person said just what a White person would say; ergo the first aspect of being a White person;

HOW YOU FUNCTION--What you SAY and what you DO.

But thanks for the evidence anyway Neckst; I always suspected the existence of beings like you:

"a million miles away, and at the same time...right here in your picture frame..."



Josh
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Dan Freeman



Joined: 12 Apr 2003
Posts: 650
Location: Wherever I'm sent.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

As of Today, my handle (Mad_scientist) on www.dave.chappelle.com has been disabled.

I tried to log on and recieved an error message that read:

Board Message

Sorry, an error occured. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

The error returned was:

Quote:
You do not have permission to view this board

_________________
Understanding is honoring the truth beneath the surface.


Last edited by Dan Freeman on Mon Dec 27, 2004 2:11 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Dan Freeman



Joined: 12 Apr 2003
Posts: 650
Location: Wherever I'm sent.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 2:39 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

NECKST wrote:
Evidence

Pictured is.....clockwise

1. Tron from the Ci-tay
2. BitchIliveinafuckingtrashcan~Moderator of davechapelle.com Forum
3. DEF
4. ERNIE


The link to that picture has also been disabled.
_________________
Understanding is honoring the truth beneath the surface.


Last edited by Dan Freeman on Mon Dec 27, 2004 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Josh



Joined: 19 Apr 2003
Posts: 796
Location: Closer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is something from Davechappelle.com regarding the use of the word NIGGER and how the admins are deciding to ban a person from the site because they are using and discussing the term.


When I first heard that a person was being banned here for discussing the word NIGGER, I thought they were kidding; after all, Dave Chappelle makes his money that way.


Anyway, check out what a person wrote regarding this ironic situation (I suspect its a White person):



Quote:
He does. However, it is not the word that bothers me. It's the context that it is used in. A disrespectful manner, such you have used, is offensive to all. Hence, why this topic is in question of being deleted or locked.




Hmmm...

*increase magnification*

"it is not the word that bothers me. It's the context that it is used in."

Very interesting.


Context #1----Racism White supremacy


Context #2----Counter Racism


I suspect "tron from the ci-tay" is offended by the practice of counter racism.

Why?


He must be a racist.

Josh
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Dan Freeman



Joined: 12 Apr 2003
Posts: 650
Location: Wherever I'm sent.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Josh wrote:
This is something from Davechappelle.com regarding the use of the word NIGGER and how the admins are deciding to ban a person from the site because they are using and discussing the term.


When I first heard that a person was being banned here for discussing the word NIGGER, I thought they were kidding; after all, Dave Chappelle makes his money that way.


Anyway, check out what a person wrote regarding this ironic situation (I suspect its a White person):



Quote:
He does. However, it is not the word that bothers me. It's the context that it is used in. A disrespectful manner, such you have used, is offensive to all. Hence, why this topic is in question of being deleted or locked.




Hmmm...

*increase magnification*

"it is not the word that bothers me. It's the context that it is used in."

Very interesting.


Context #1----Racism White supremacy


Context #2----Counter Racism


I suspect "tron from the ci-tay" is offended by the practice of counter racism.

Why?


He must be a racist.

Josh


I suspect the same. We must be using the same logic
_________________
Understanding is honoring the truth beneath the surface.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Edward Williams
Site Admin


Joined: 12 Apr 2003
Posts: 3079
Location: I am from everywhere I've ever been and everywhere I've never been

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BitchILiveInAFuckingTrashcan wrote:
Congratulations mad_scientist has now been banned. The rules aren't that hard to follow. Virtual God and Non-white person keep your eyes open because you could very well be next. For now you are still not banned but the 3 of you came here to raise some shit and conduct an "experiment" in which we want no part of.

It won't be long now...
_________________
What is the reason YOU were born into a SYSTEM of INJUSTICE if not to replace it with a SYSTEM of JUSTICE?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
cloudsong



Joined: 12 Feb 2004
Posts: 327
Location: Arlington VA

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a racist response of them.

I am a white person who DOES want a part of that experiment. If no one wants to get together with my white friends, what if I just have a party at my house with my white friends and tape their reactions to the show and a discussion afterwards of why they found it funny?

Then could I send the tape to you V-God - would it be helpful? (with their permission and knowledge)

cloudsong
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Edward Williams
Site Admin


Joined: 12 Apr 2003
Posts: 3079
Location: I am from everywhere I've ever been and everywhere I've never been

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am continuing the experiment...I posted the following:

Virtual_GOD wrote:
Tron From Tha Ci-Tay,

Thank you for answering my post in the other thread. It is locked now and I can't reply to your response...so I'll do it here. I asked you if Dave Chapelle uses the word nigger and you answered "he does".

This is very interesting to me that a message board forum devoted to discuss Dave Chapelle's "comedy"...the admins seem to have a problem with the use of a word...just a word...the same word that Dave uses...the person the forum was built to discuss his behavior.

Only two possible contexts, I suspect the word nigger can be used in. The context of racism (white supremacy) and the context of counter-racism. The former (racism/white supremacy) establishes the latter (counter-racism) by establishing itself. I suspect it is acceptable for a nigger to use the word nigger as lomg as the context is racism (white supremacy)...where the nigger is an entertainer. As Paul Mooney says "all niggers are entertainers.

In the context of counter-racism where the nigger is attempting to de-niggerize white people become very uncomfortable with niggers using the word nigger. What has to be realized is that the closer we get to finding out exactly what white supremacy (racism) is white people get offended and non-white people get embarrassed...embarrassed enough to jump to the defense of white people.

Tron From Tha Ci-Tay and BitchILiveInAFuckingTrashcan I am not trying to disrupt your board but I am requesting constructive information. I suspect both of you are white people but I could be incorrect so I need to ask you both...

Tron From Tha Ci-Tay, are you a white person?

BitchILiveInAFuckingTrashcan, are you a white person?

Please respond. I suspect these forums are put together so white people who want to mistreat other people on the basis of color can mix their work and their fun.


I'll post any reponse provided I am able to get to the board in the future.
_________________
What is the reason YOU were born into a SYSTEM of INJUSTICE if not to replace it with a SYSTEM of JUSTICE?


Last edited by Edward Williams on Sat Apr 17, 2004 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Counter-Racism Work/Study Project Forum Index -> Counter-Racism Science Project All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
Web CalendarShopping MallDonations