HomeCounter-Racism Radio NetworkCounter-Racism Television NetworkArticlesProjectsCounter-Racism Work/Study ProjectShopping MallContact
Secure DonationsSecure Donations  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Log inLog in

Working with racism

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Counter-Racism Work/Study Project Forum Index -> How to Counter Racism (White Supremacy) in the Work Place
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mary

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:10 am    Post subject: Working with racism Reply with quote

Hi

I came across this site when trying to find strategies to cope with racism I am subjected to at work. Can anyone help me?

I am the only person of my colour in the place, and they gave me the job because I was the best qualified for the job. If it hadn't been for that I don't think they would have employed me. But now my colleagues are calling me names and making life difficult. They help each other out, but try to make life as difficult as possible for me. The thing is unless I move away I won't get as good a job locally, and we just recently moved here for my husbands job - he loves his job and our new life here.

Are there any ways to deal with this? I don't want to threaten tribunals and such because I know my life will be made harder.
Trina

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: Working with racism Reply with quote

mary wrote:
Hi

I came across this site when trying to find strategies to cope with racism I am subjected to at work. Can anyone help me?

I am the only person of my colour in the place, and they gave me the job because I was the best qualified for the job. If it hadn't been for that I don't think they would have employed me. But now my colleagues are calling me names and making life difficult. They help each other out, but try to make life as difficult as possible for me. The thing is unless I move away I won't get as good a job locally, and we just recently moved here for my husbands job - he loves his job and our new life here.

Are there any ways to deal with this? I don't want to threaten tribunals and such because I know my life will be made harder.

Mary,

Are you a White person?

Trina
Dan Freeman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to counter-racism.com Mary.

Here on the board we have a section known as

Counterning Racsim/White Supremacy in the workplace.

I plan to move this post there, since it seems to be directly related to

Countering Racism/White Supremacy in the workplace.

smallz
Josh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary wrote:

Quote:
But now my colleagues are calling me names and making life difficult. They help each other out, but try to make life as difficult as possible for me.

Mary, please answer the following questions so I may be better able to offer you the most effective constructive suggestions:

1. Are your "colleagues" White people or non white people?

2. What names are they calling you?

3. HOW are they making your life difficult?

4. HOW do they "help each other out"

(and last but not least)

5. Are you a White person?

Josh
HelixHair

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Working with racism Reply with quote

mary wrote:
Hi

I came across this site when trying to find strategies to cope with racism I am subjected to at work. Can anyone help me?...Are there any ways to deal with this? I don't want to threaten tribunals and such because I know my life will be made harder.

Mary, you are correct that such techniques nearly always make the situation worse. I attempted to PM you some specific suggestions to improve your situation. However, you appear not to have set up your private messaging here. Once you have done so, please PM me and I will send the message again.
xirxious

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a problem working at a place whre the majority was 'not my race'. I heard names being called in my presence and was constantly given dirty looks. When I finally complained to my boss, ne said there was nothing he could do. Legally, it may have been a form of racial intimidation, but unless something was recorded, or a witness stepped foreward to confirm it, they really didn't care. I guess they were trying to show me that freedom of speech it allowed to everyone, just don't yell Fire! in a movie theater. You must have complained about it, too, and they made you see that somethings we can not fix and must just suffer through them. Everybody has the right to their opinion, and if yours isn't the same as everybody else, then the majority does rule......
Dan Freeman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2004 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

xirxious wrote:
I had a problem working at a place whre the majority was 'not my race'. I heard names being called in my presence and was constantly given dirty looks. When I finally complained to my boss, ne said there was nothing he could do. Legally, it may have been a form of racial intimidation, but unless something was recorded, or a witness stepped foreward to confirm it, they really didn't care. I guess they were trying to show me that freedom of speech it allowed to everyone, just don't yell Fire! in a movie theater. You must have complained about it, too, and they made you see that somethings we can not fix and must just suffer through them. Everybody has the right to their opinion, and if yours isn't the same as everybody else, then the majority does rule......

In terms of people, the terms "majority" and "minority" referr to POWER as opposed to a head-count.

I also found it intresting that you stated:

Quote:
I had a problem working at a place whre the majority was 'not my race'.

First order of business, Are you a white person?

smallz
xirxious

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

smallz wrote:

First order of business, Are you a white person?

smallz

Would it make it any less unjust if I were? I am in a minority and leave it at that.
Dan Freeman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xirxious,

((shakin my head))

It never ceases to amaze me.

When white people don't want to be held "accoutable" for being white, when many white people walk around calling themselves "WHITE".

(Which is why we have white people by the way)

no further question xirxious.

My time is precious, so you can go round and round with these other niggers on the board.

Have a nice day.

smallz
xirxious

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

smallz wrote:
When white people don't want to be held "accoutable" for being white, when many white people walk around calling themselves "WHITE".

Now you want white people to be 'accountable' based on the color of their skin? What about the whites who actually support anti-racism? You are holding everyone else to a standard you can not obtain yourself. Have you ever tried asking a white person to see your point of view rather than setting rules for their behavior based on your own fractured view of society? Any white preson that would stand there and let you finish the question and give you an answer could be open to your point of view, but you're setting yourself up for them to be working against you. What I wrote seemed unacceptable by anyone's sane judgement, but when I allowed you to infer I was white, you appropiately sorted it into your racial paradigm.
Dan Freeman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All those words, and you still haven't told me if you are a white person.

smallz
HighHouse

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He doesn't need to.
Dan Freeman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel, please cease and dissist any further communication with me.

I suspect you are a white supremacist/racist.

Thank you.

smallz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Counter-Racism Work/Study Project Forum Index -> How to Counter Racism (White Supremacy) in the Work Place All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: