HomeCounter-Racism Radio NetworkCounter-Racism Television NetworkArticlesProjectsCounter-Racism Work/Study ProjectShopping MallContact
Secure DonationsSecure Donations  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Log inLog in

Communication Using E-Mail
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Counter-Racism Work/Study Project Forum Index -> How to Counter Racism (White Supremacy) in the Work Place
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edward Williams
Site Admin

Location: I am from everywhere I've ever been and everywhere I've never been

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 12:24 pm    Post subject: Communication Using E-Mail Reply with quote

The first thing non-white people should do on their job is communicate by e-mail as much as possible if their job has e-mail. This makes sure everything is documented.

In your communication via e-mail make sure you turn on read response or read receipt so that you can have documentation of when a mail has been read by the person you sent it to. If you can, make sure you turn on delete response or delete reciept so you can have documentation of when your e-mail was deleted.

Make folders with the names of people or group names you suspect may mistreat you on the basis of color and/or people who may go along with people who may mistreat you on the basis of COLOR, whether white or non-white. Place a copy of any e-mail you sent, whether a reply, forwarded or new e-mail, in the folder with the read recept and/or delete receipt of involved parties.

Always use the following format in writing your e-mail:

New e-mail: Make a brief statement and end with a question.
Reply or Forwarded e-mail: Make a brief response, make a brief statement and end with a question.

NOTE: Make sure your questions request constructive information. Non-white people are always wondering why white people get things like more monetary compensation, better promotions, better working conditions, etc. These things are, of course, the result of the SYSTEM of white supremacy racism but they can be countered.
Dan Freeman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Communication Using E-Mail Reply with quote

Virtual_GOD wrote:
The first thing non-white people should do on their job is communicate by e-mail as much as possible if their job has e-mail. This makes sure everything is documented.

In your communication via e-mail make sure you turn on read response or read receipt so that you can have documentation of when a mail has been read by the person you sent it to. If you can, make sure you turn on delete response or delete reciept so you can have documentation of when your e-mail was deleted.

Make folders with the names of people or group names you suspect may mistreat you on the basis of color and/or people who may go along with people who may mistreat you on the basis of COLOR, whether white or non-white. Place a copy of any e-mail you sent, whether a reply, forwarded or new e-mail, in the folder with the read recept and/or delete receipt of involved parties.

Always use the following format in writing your e-mail:

New e-mail: Make a brief statement and end with a question.
Reply or Forwarded e-mail: Make a brief response, make a brief statement and end with a question.

NOTE: Make sure your questions request constructive information. Non-white people are always wondering why white people get things like more monetary compensation, better promotions, better working conditions, etc. These things are, of course, the result of the SYSTEM of white supremacy racism but they can be countered.

I should be ashamed for not responding to this before today...

This CANNOT, I repeat, CANNOT be overlooked by non white people who are provided the use of e-mail in the workplace.

I suspect V_God is correct in his analysis. Your email can be used a tool to counter-racsim/white supremacy directly. I do it all the time.

By using your email correctly in the workplace, it can become your instant courthouse. When I run counter-racist strategies in the workplace, email is my first platform because with 1-click-of-the-mouse, it becomes evidence.

V_God wrote:

Quote:

This is a solid suggestion because it should at least provide an instant visual refrence of any Racist-Suspect in question, and evidence supporting your suspicion of that particular individual or individual(s).

For example, if I even suspect that there is a problem with my manager, I'll immedialey "open the lines of communication" by sending an email asking questions such as:

asking if a problem exists?

If so, what?

How long has it been occuring?

What is the source of the problem?

What can I do to help fix this problem?

Hopefully this approach will help the problem solving process begin.

Remember, counter-racsim IS problem solving.

smallz
Josh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition, text based communications can be comprehended at your own pace.

When I read, I try to read ALL the words, including PUNCTUATION...;:?...

E-mail and other text based communications allows you to take your time and even re-read segments of text.

It is critical for VORs to correctly identify was is SAID and not what they "hope", "feel" and/or "believe" was said.

Your ability to do this will have a direct impact on the amount of deceptive, vague, obtuse text based communications sent to you.

Josh
mel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good suggestion V_God! I hadn't read this post until now. I have actually done these things while preforming a counter racist experiment in which I attempt to get constructive information from my manager about how white people practice racism (white supremacy) in labor, what I can do to counter it, and what are the best steps to take in order to seek promotion within the company.

Everything is documented by email or audio recording. Again, I think this is an excellent suggestion.

Even if you can not converse with your manager or supervisor via email, I suggest that Non-white people still write everything down or make a record of all that is said by the white people they may be questioning for constructive information about work situations.

Here's an brief example:

Quote:
From Melvin:
Diana,

Thank you for the return email. Since you did not answer my question:

How do you determine if a white person is not practicing racism in the work place? And /Or (How do you know if a white person is practicing racism in the work place?) What do racists specifically say or do in the workplace to mistreat people on the basis of color? I must ask the following:

Are you indicating via the last two emails that you are no longer willing to help me get clarification on whether I may or may not be currently mistreated on the basis of color in the area of labor?

This is a very serious issue for me. You are my superior advisor and as such I would hope that you would be willing to answer any work related question or concern that I have, as you have already indicated that you would do. "If you have questions just ask. You can always ask me anything." Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 10:35:20 -0400 If you can please respond via email that would help me to understand your answers better, as I am easily confused and need time to reread what is said to me.

Thank you,

Melvin

To: "Melvin
Subject: RE: Job openings Company
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 12:45:52 -0400

Melvin:

If you [or someone you know] feels they are experiencing racism here,
you {they} should report it to the personnel dept or to their immediate supervisor and the issue can then be investigated.

Melvin:
Diana,
Thank you very much for you response. You are helping me to get clarification and I appreciate that. If Larry, to the best of your knowledge does not practice racism then:

How do you determine if a white person is not practicing racism in the work place? And /Or (How do you know if a white person is practicing racism in the work place?) What do racists specifically say or do in the workplace to mistreat people on the basis of color?

If you can provide specific examples of this it would be very helpful to me as a black person and employee of this company.

Thank you,
Melvin

Subject: RE: Job openings at Company
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 2004 09:16:48 -0400

As far as I know Larry is not a racist. I personally have not had any negative experiences with him that would lead me to such a conclusion. I still don't understand why are you are asking this question.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, September 30, 2004 5:12 PM
To: Diana

Diana,
Thank you for the response, the information is helpful. Unfortunately I am still confused, and I am in still in need of clarification. My question was:
What is the Larry position of race relations within the workplace? By race I mean, does Larry practice racism (white supremacy), or the mistreatment of people on the basis of color in any or all of the areas of people activity including: economics, education, entertainment, labor, law, politics, religion, sex, and war.
The information that you provided did not answer this question, therefore I am more confused. Now, we have already established that Mr. Larry is a white person.

You wrote: "Anyway, Larry is the person that knows your friend Jeff. Jeff wrote a letter to Larry on your behalf and Larry is the person who was instrumental in getting you hired here. He is white."

So my next question is:
What is the Larry position of race relations within the workplace? By race I mean, does Larry practice racism (white supremacy), or the mistreatment of people on the basis of color in any or all of the areas of people activity including: economics, education, entertainment, labor, law, politics, religion, sex, and war. (Yes, No, or I don't know.)

Thank you for your help.
Melvin

Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 17:36:40 -0400

I didn't realize you had people at the desk, sorry :--(
Let me explain something which may help. Larry is second in charge here but it is each manager's job, ultimately, to do the hiring for their area. If someone has a serious concern about an employee issue of any kind, its possible that managers might consult with Larry or Ken if necessary but otherwise managers do the hiring. Larry passed on your application to Mary because of a good letter of recommendation he received from Jeff. But Mary had the ultimate decision as to hiring you or not hiring you. Ken and Larry hire the managers. They directly do the hiring for managers of the properties. {They interviewed me for my job}. By the way, Michael is a manager of several properties within the company. I don't know if you have ever met him or not. He is here occasionally for meetings-and he is an African American.

Larry commented that they like to promote from within so that's one good thing in your favor. As I said I think that the reason you haven't gotten more feedback is probably because no positions are open. It's very common for people to say "we'll keep you in mind if something opens up." They aren't going to provide more information if there is no opening at that time.

I hope this is helpful. In your email you said I have never met Mr. Larry, and I suspect that even if I had I would not be able to say if he was a white person." I'm not sure what you meant by not being able to say if he was white?? I don't particularly like labeling people at all, but I think that most people, rightly or wrongly, make the distinction between people of colour and white/caucasion people. I think those are broad and, in the end, limiting labels. I can get very philosophical about this subject. On the other hand, its pretty clear which group you and I fall into {if we were forced to be labeled}.

Sent: Thursday, September 30, 2004 3:59 PM
>Diana,
Thank you for answering my question. I am asking these questions to get
clarification. I have never met Mr. Larry and I suspect that even if I had I would not be able to say if he was a white person. Thank you again for answering one of my questions. The other question was:

What is the Larry’s position of race relations within the workplace? By race I mean, does Larry practice racism (white supremacy), or the mistreatment of people on the basis of color in any or all of the areas of people activity including: economics, education, entertainment, labor, law, politics, religion, sex, and war.

Sincerely,
Melvin

Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 10:55:30 -0400
Melvin:
I am puzzled as to why you are even asking about Larry's ethnicity.
Did he say or do something to make you think that he is racist?
Anyway, Larry is the person that knows your friend Jeff.
Jeff wrote a letter to Larry on your behalf and Larry is the person
who was instrumental in getting you hired here.

He is white.

I know Larry to be an absolute professional and a very kind person.

Sent: Wednesday, September 29, 2004 4:51 PM

Diana,
Thank you for the response. My first question may seem a little strange because I am sure it is not asked much but I do not know the answer, and need it answered for clarification.
Is Larry a white person?
My second question is:
What is the Larry's position of race relations within the workplace? By race I mean, does Larry practice racism (white supremacy), or the mistreatment of people on the basis of color in any or all of the areas of people activity including: economics, education, entertainment, labor, law, politics, religion, sex, and war.

Thank you,
Melvin Butler

Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 10:35:20 -0400

Melvin:
Probably the reason you aren't getting more specific info about jobs is because there aren't any jobs OPEN right now, so there isn't much for them to comment on. I know for a fact that you are highly respected here and that if something opens that might be a good fit, you'll be considered.

If you have questions just ask.
You can always ask me anything.

Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2004 7:36 PM

Diana,
As you know, I wanted to move to a position within the company that
would enable me to have greater responsibility and greater compensation.
However, the responses that I have received which are vague have been
troubling for me, and have left me with a sense of uncertainty. Therefore, I wanted to ask you several specific questions so that I get clarification. Do you mind if I ask you some questions about the Larry?

Melvin

Edward Williams
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that's interesting!
Wannabright

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:39 pm    Post subject: Heres an Email from the Past Reply with quote

Here is an email from my time at Goddard Space Flight Center. One of Thousands I still have copies of.

I just went down and asked them to remove it. The two occupants
said that it was there when they moved into the office about 5
months ago. I notified the Assistant Branch Head in 253 that I
had done this.

Thanks for pointing it out.

Krista

________________ Reply Separator ___________
Subject: Hangman's Noose at Bldg #8?
Author: John Bilal at 220 B4
Date: 11/8/95 2:16 PM

Krista,

The hangman's noose on the door of room #41, building #8 basement may be taken
to be offensive by someone in building #8. I am told that it's was first
noticed hanging there just after the OJ verdict. I don't know who hung it, or
why; but, I guess its "just a rope".

John S. Bilal II VOR

The Qur'an
Sura 21, Ayat 18
Wannabright

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 3:58 pm    Post subject: Heres another sent out to the GSFC workforce Reply with quote

Subject: Producing QUALITY RELATIONSHIPS in the Workplace
Author: John Bilal at 220 B4
Date: 11/9/95 3:41 PM

To Whom it May Concern,

I would like to take this opportunity to invite you to a presentation by Mr.
Neely Fuller Jr. on the topic "Producing Quality Relationships in the Workplace"
at Building #8, MCC Conference Room, on Thursday, November 16, 1995, at 11:30
until 13:30. The presentation is sponsored by the Awake Study Group a part of
the Black History Club. The topic presented will be on "Racism" and
participants will exchange views, ask questions and give answers as to solutions
to the problem, what we are currently doing about the problem, if there is one
at all. Warning: Some attenders may be offended and/or embarrassed with the
presentation, however, it will be presented in a most cautious and objective
manner. The presentation is supported by the code 220 diversity committee
chairperson and the presentation has been made to that committee once before.

John S. Bilal II VOR
Certificate Holder of

Authority for the Event:

GSFC Diversity Management Plan
Pg#1
A:) QUALITY OF WORKLIFE:

Goal #1
To foster a multicultural organizational climate. The center will strive to
ensure all employees feel valued, participate fully and can develop to their
maximum potential in order to achieve the organization's mission.

Goal #2
To foster open and honest, and accessible communications and trust between
management and employees. (Obj#1) Ensure that authority and responsibility are
delegated to the lowest practicable level. Include employees in the decision
making process, and VALUE employees' inputs.

NASA CI Plan August 1994:

Pg#3 Section 1.0 Leadership for Quality 1.4 Development for Quality at NASA

NASA Management will lead by example. As leaders, senior management will:
EMPOWER PEOPLE TO MAKE DECISIONS
BE OPEN MINDED
BE SENSITIVE TO THE PEOPLE AROUND THEM
BE ACCOUNTABLE
CREATE AND SUPPORT AN ENVIRONMENT TO BRING OUT THE BEST FROM THE AGENCY'S MOST
VALUABLE RESOURCE AND ASSET ITS PEOPLE.

Pg#4 Section 1.0 Leadership for Quality 1.5 Creation of Environment for Change

Show Visible Support
Senior managers will play an active role in removing barriers to continual
improvement. The environment, set by senior management, will empower the NASA
team to take RISKS, learn from mistakes, and indentify solutions. FEAR AND
APPREHENSION WILL BE ELIMINATED. Responsible decisionmaking will be based on
reliable data and information.

Pg# 15&16 Section 4.0 Human Resource Utilization 4.1 Purpose

This chapter defines plans to optimize the development, deployment, and
management of NASA's human resources by achieving a workplace environment that
provides challenging tasks and career opportunities, recognizes and values
diversity, encourages RISK TAKING, practices empowerment, and ensures a
professional environment for all.

Pg# 15&16 Section 4.0 Human Resource Utilization 4.3 Employee Involvement

NASA will establish an environment that advocates and promotes empowerment,
responsibility, and innovation. NASA will also foster a working environment in
which barriers to empowerment, responsibility, and innovation are identified and
actively removed.

The Qur'an
Sura 21, Ayat 18
Josh

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I just went down and asked them to remove it. The two occupants
said that it was there when they moved into the office about 5
months ago. I notified the Assistant Branch Head in 253 that I
had done this.

Thanks for pointing it out.

Krista

Interesting...

According to this reply, Krista does not indicated IF the noose was removed and if it was; WHO removed it.

Didn't someone want "credit" for removing it?

musta been made out of "kryptonite"... or garlic

Interesting.

Josh
Wannabright

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:35 pm    Post subject: Hangmans Noose Reply with quote

Interestingly enough, I was told the hangmans noose suddenly appeared after the OJ verdict. I was "tipped off" by a anonymous non-white person and went to investigate myself.

The Qur'an
Sura 21, Ayat 18
Wannabright

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Does it seem like the more questions you you have on record the more cautious the suspect racists get with you? (Especially when they see you're recording everything) How is your direct discourse with this woman? Does she try to duck and hide whenever you're around? Does she or other suspect racists attempt to invite you into discussions involving white people?
mel wrote:
Good suggestion V_God! I hadn't read this post until now. I have actually done these things while preforming a counter racist experiment in which I attempt to get constructive information from my manager about how white people practice racism (white supremacy) in labor, what I can do to counter it, and what are the best steps to take in order to seek promotion within the company.

Everything is documented by email or audio recording. Again, I think this is an excellent suggestion.

Even if you can not converse with your manager or supervisor via email, I suggest that Non-white people still write everything down or make a record of all that is said by the white people they may be questioning for constructive information about work situations.

Here's an brief example:

The Qur'an
Sura 21, Ayat 18
Edward Williams
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Hangmans Noose Reply with quote

Wannabright wrote:
Interestingly enough, I was told the hangmans noose suddenly appeared after the OJ verdict. I was "tipped off" by a anonymous non-white person and went to investigate myself.

What was said and/or done to counter the stated mistreatment on the basis of color?
Dan Freeman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Wannabright wrote:
Does it seem like the more questions you you have on record the more cautious the suspect racists get with you? (Especially when they see you're recording everything) How is your direct discourse with this woman? Does she try to duck and hide whenever you're around? Does she or other suspect racists attempt to invite you into discussions involving white people?
mel wrote:

Here's an brief example:

Quote:
Does it seem like the more questions you you have on record the more cautious the suspect racists get with you? (Especially when they see you're recording everything)

ABSOLUTELY!!!!

In fact Wannabright, I heard a one agency-official tell me in a meeting:

"we don't always wanna use emails, because someone could use that against us"

US?

Who exactly constitutes "US"?

Did she have a gerbil in her purse I didn't know about?

I suspect "US" could be referring to White people who choose to practice Racsim.

Logically speaking, if someone is using email as a tool to use words that reveal truth and promote justice, the only person or person(s) that would be opposed to that, Logically speaking, are people who ARE NOT interested in using words that reveal truth to promote JUSTICE.

The people who have proven to be the strongest and most powerful opposition to using words that reveal truth and teh promotion of justice are White people who have choosen to practice White Supremacy (Racism)

But I could be incorrect.

Nevertheless, I continue to use e-mail as my main communication tool in the workplace to promote JUSTICE.

smallz
Wannabright

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Hangmans Noose Reply with quote

Virtual_GOD wrote:
Wannabright wrote:

What was said and/or done to counter the stated mistreatment on the basis of color?

The purpose of my investigation was to reveal truth relating to the said complaint by a victim of racism who appeared to fear revealing this information to the "high level" management who was responsible to take constructive action. The result was cited in the original email, the noose was removed from its hanging place. I know of no other information concerning this incident.

The Qur'an
Sura 21, Ayat 18
Edward Williams
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Hangmans Noose Reply with quote

Wannabright wrote:
Virtual_GOD wrote:
Wannabright wrote:

The purpose of my investigation was to reveal truth relating to the said complaint by a victim of racism who appeared to fear revealing this information to the "high level" management who was responsible to take constructive action. The result was cited in the original email, the noose was removed from its hanging place. I know of no other information concerning this incident.

Thank you sir.

How would you suggest someone in a similar circumstance speak and/or act to counter racism (white supremacy)?
Wannabright

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

smallz wrote:
Wannabright wrote:
mel wrote:

Here's an brief example:

Quote:
Does it seem like the more questions you you have on record the more cautious the suspect racists get with you? (Especially when they see you're recording everything)

ABSOLUTELY!!!!

In fact Wannabright, I heard a one agency-official tell me in a meeting:

"we don't always wanna use emails, because someone could use that against us"

US?

Who exactly constitutes "US"?

Did she have a gerbil in her purse I didn't know about?

I suspect "US" could be referring to White people who choose to practice Racsim.

Logically speaking, if someone is using email as a tool to use words that reveal truth and promote justice, the only person or person(s) that would be opposed to that, Logically speaking, are people who ARE NOT interested in using words that reveal truth to promote JUSTICE.

The people who have proven to be the strongest and most powerful opposition to using words that reveal truth and teh promotion of justice are White people who have choosen to practice White Supremacy (Racism)

But I could be incorrect.

Nevertheless, I continue to use e-mail as my main communication tool in the workplace to promote JUSTICE.

smallz

This might be a helpful example. Here is a letter that was sent to me from the computer network administrator at the time.
Quote:

Subject: Authorized Use of Computers at GSFC
Author: Tina Russell at 741
Date: 3/13/95 1:18 PM

For email users information, an announcent dated
January 9, 1995 was sent to all GSFC civil servants and
contractors concerning the authorized use of computers and
computing resources. It stated that computers, networks,
electronic mail, the Internet, World Wide Web (WWW) and
other computer resources will only be used for official
government business. It also stated that computers and
computing resources (email, etc.) cannot be used for
personal or commercial purposes which includes the sale or
advertisement of any item.

I responded to her by asking a question. Here was her answer.

Quote:
John,

I know that there are some uses of computers, email, networks, etc.
that are questionable. It is NASA's responsibility to define
guidelines for what is considered proper usage of email and other
resources. Another announcement was sent dated March 2, 1995
entitled "Authorized Use of the Internet, World Wide Web (WWW) and
Related Internet Services". At the end, it mentions that more
specific guidelines as to the content of items on Internet resourcews
and servieces and procedures for setting up home pages will be ssued
soon. There is a committee that develops and recommends policy for
use of the networks and computer resources on center. There are lso
computer security guidelines developed by NASA and GSFC.

I think the main problem is the policy is being set after the
resources have been in use for a while. People should not abuse
resources that are there for work related purposes. There are thoses
that spend a lot of time "playing" on the Internet or just playing
games. I think there are probably few people that do this.

That is what I think. I am interested in computer security because I
am a network administrator and know that abuses can cause roblems
that waste a lot of time and resourses such as checking for viruses.

I do not have time to discuss this furthur. I just wanted people to
be aware of the policy that exists.

Tina

You notice the entire list of authorizations I placed on each email I sent out. She never says the email I sent was unauthorized, she did say what her concerns were however... was this a shrewd move or what?.

The Qur'an
Sura 21, Ayat 18
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Counter-Racism Work/Study Project Forum Index -> How to Counter Racism (White Supremacy) in the Work Place All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: