HomeCounter-Racism Radio NetworkCounter-Racism Television NetworkArticlesProjectsCounter-Racism Work/Study ProjectShopping MallContact
Secure DonationsSecure Donations  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Log inLog in

Silent Witness

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Counter-Racism Work/Study Project Forum Index -> How to Counter Racism (White Supremacy) in the Work Place
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edward Williams
Site Admin

Location: I am from everywhere I've ever been and everywhere I've never been

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 3:19 pm    Post subject: Silent Witness Reply with quote

When it is not possible for you to document everything on the job, and a recording device is not optional, one of the things I have done when being "invited" to a meeting where I suspect it will be discussed that a problem exists or did exists and I may be the only person that is suspected of causing the problem...I have in the past invited a silent witness.

The practical value of this is that it helps to have witnesses if the "accusations" start flying. Let everyone know that you will be inviting a silent witness. Give your silent witness a list of things to do in the meeting...such as write down as many of the questions and/or answers that a specific person or multiple persons say. Or look at the person running the meeting right in the eyes, and let them know you're looking at them, and write down as much as they say and/or do...including cuss words.

I was once called into a meeting where it was going to be discussed something that happened and that I was going to be the suspected cause of what happened. I invited the person's manager's manager that was running the meeting. The meeting lasted 10 minutes. The person running the meeting solved the problem and produced a path forward in five minutes.

There are numerous ways to accomplish an objective that promotes justice by guaranteeing you don't get mistreated and also guaranteeing you don't get harmed. Find out what to say and/or do and codify all of your responses beforehand. This has helped me greatly.
Trina

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Silent Witness Reply with quote

Virtual_GOD wrote:
When it is not possible for you to document everything on the job, and a recording device is not optional, one of the things I have done when being "invited" to a meeting where I suspect it will be discussed that a problem exists or did exists and I may be the only person that is suspected of causing the problem...I have in the past invited a silent witness.

The practical value of this is that it helps to have witnesses if the "accusations" start flying. Let everyone know that you will be inviting a silent witness. Give your silent witness a list of things to do in the meeting...such as write down as many of the questions and/or answers that a specific person or multiple persons say. Or look at the person running the meeting right in the eyes, and let them know you're looking at them, and write down as much as they say and/or do...including cuss words.

I was once called into a meeting where it was going to be discussed something that happened and that I was going to be the suspected cause of what happened. I invited the person's manager's manager that was running the meeting. The meeting lasted 10 minutes. The person running the meeting solved the problem and produced a path forward in five minutes.

There are numerous ways to accomplish an objective that promotes justice by guaranteeing you don't get mistreated and also guaranteeing you don't get harmed. Find out what to say and/or do and codify all of your responses beforehand. This has helped me greatly.

Virtual_GOD,

That's an excellent suggestion, however, what if something happens and you need your silent witness to come forward and maybe speak and present some evidence to some of the top management to help you keep your job or from being demoted and someone intimidates that silent witness into really being silent, what do you do then? Just wondering.

Trina
Edward Williams
Site Admin

Location: I am from everywhere I've ever been and everywhere I've never been

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Silent Witness Reply with quote

Trina wrote:
Virtual_GOD wrote:

Virtual_GOD,

That's an excellent suggestion, however, what if something happens and you need your silent witness to come forward and maybe speak and present some evidence to some of the top management to help you keep your job or from being demoted and someone intimidates that silent witness into really being silent, what do you do then? Just wondering.

Trina

Goood question Trina. I would only use the silent witness if we went to "court". This way white people get to ensure the person's credibility. Less work for me. I'd just make sure the person is subpeonaed.
Josh

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing you can do is use your supervisor "superior adviser" or crew chief as your silent wittness (unless that person is calling the meeting).

In any employment situation you should find out what the chain of command is because what it really represents is a chain of responsibility. Make sure you write it down and that other people check and sign off on it.

Black people need to get out of the habit of just seeing a supervisor as a "boss" and undertand that a supervisor holds a position of responsibility; specifically the responsibility to make sure you have the skills and tools to do your job correctly.

Josh
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Counter-Racism Work/Study Project Forum Index -> How to Counter Racism (White Supremacy) in the Work Place All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: