HomeCounter-Racism Radio NetworkCounter-Racism Television NetworkArticlesProjectsCounter-Racism Work/Study ProjectShopping MallContact
Secure DonationsSecure Donations  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Log inLog in

Counter racism/white supermacy songs... How do you feel?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Counter-Racism Work/Study Project Forum Index -> Counter-Racism Strategies and Techniques
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Josh

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my favorite counter racism songs is the one by Bob Marley that goes:

"until such time the philosophy that holds one race superior and another inferior...is finally...and permanently abandon...and discredited...EVERYWHERE IS WAR!"

Marley was talkin about racism White supremacy and his comment appear to reveal that which is in the world today.

In other words its a true statement.

To that extent, I consider it a piece of counter racism code that I can use to reveal truth.

Josh
copious

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karim the first one you posted is one of my favorites. Though this one came ot mind.

Black Star wrote:

ASTRONOMY (8TH LIGHT) LYRICS

[Mos Def]
Against the canvas of the night
Appears a curious celestial phenomena
called Black Star, but what is it?
[Talib Kweli]
Black people unite and let's all get down
We got to have what? We got to have that love
[Mos Def]
What is the Black Star?
Is it the cat with the black shades, the black car?
Is it shinin from very far, to where you are?
It is commonplace and different
Intimate and distant
Fresher than an infant
[Talib Kweli]
Black, my family thick, like they're striped molasses
Star, on the rise, in the eyes of the masses
Black is the color of my true love's hair
Star's are bright, shining, hot balls of air
[Mos Def]
Black like my baby girl's stare
Black like the veil that the muslimina wear
Black like the planet that they fear, why they scared?
Black like the slave ship that later brought us here
Black like the cheeks that are roadways for tears
that leave black faces well traveled with years
Black like assassin crosshairs
Blacker than my granddaddy armchair
He never really got no time to chill there
Cause this life is warfare, warfare

[Talib Kweli]
Deep on the front lines, and blacks is all there
Black like the perception of who, on welfare
Black like faces at the bottom of the well
I've been there before
To bring the light and heat it up like 'la cocina'
Make without imagine happen but maybe I'm just a dreamer
I love rockin tracks like John Coltrane love Naema

[M] Like the student love the teacher
[T] Like the prophet love Khadeja
[M] Like I love my baby features
[A] Like the creator love all creatures

[Talib Kweli]
Who acknowledge truth and peace seekers
We on point like heat seekers
Targettin the black marketing strategists
Run up on em with the heaters
Everybody followin with no leaders
Feelin like we killin ourselves
because I know they can't defeat us
It don't stop til we complete this, keep this fly
There's so much to life when you just stay Black and God
[Mos Def]
Blacker than the nighttime sky of Bed-Stuy in July
Blacker than the seed in the blackberry pie

Blacker than the middle of my eye
Black like feh-lah man cry
Some man wan ask 'Who am I?'
I simply reply, 'The U.N.I., V.E.R.S.A.L. Magnetic'
Work to respect the angelic, climb the mountaintop
and tell it til the valley's enveloped
You're full of big chat but you nah know me
I'm dark like the side of the moon you don't see
when the moon shine newly

[M] You know who else is a Black Star? (Who?) Me
[T] You know who else is a Black Star? (Who?) Me
[A] You know who else is a Black Star, who we? (And we)
[A] be shinin and shinin, when we rhymin and rhymin
We be shinin and shinin, when we rhymin and rhymin
[Mos Def]
Now everybody hop on the one, the sounds of the two
It's the third eye vision, five side dimension
The 8th Light, is gonna shine bright tonight
[T] You know the light
[M] Go from the dark
[T] The other way is ass-backwards
[M] It's absurd
[T] Make you wanna crow like a blackbird

[M] That's right
[T] You livin from your first day to your last night
[T] Sometimes you show your ass like
[M] Lint on your clothes
[T] When you froze in
[A] THE BLACK LIGHT
[M] Dead that
[T] Before you get your head wrapped
[M] Like Badu
[T] We see through your voodoo
[T] Just like Eve's Bayou, you dealin with that black magic
[M] Try to civilize you
[T] Not walk on by you
[M] Like civil-(lies do get you black listed) it'll
[T] Be unlucky for you like a black cat
[M] A panther
[T] Revolution is the answer
[M] That's what we need
[T] Greed plague my people like the cancer
[M] True indeed

[Mos Def]
Now black people unite, and let's ALL GET DOWN
Now everybody hop on the one, the sounds of the two
Everybody hop on the one, the sounds of the two
Equalin up to eight, light shine bright
copious

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Josh wrote:
One of my favorite counter racism songs is the one by Bob Marley that goes:

"until such time the philosophy that holds one race superior and another inferior...is finally...and permanently abandon...and discredited...EVERYWHERE IS WAR!"

Marley was talkin about racism White supremacy and his comment appear to reveal that which is in the world today.

In other words its a true statement.

To that extent, I consider it a piece of counter racism code that I can use to reveal truth.

Josh

Excellent.. I went and found the song

Bob Marley's War wrote:

Alan Cole and Carlton Barrett

Bob sets to music the speech made presented to the United Nations by H.I.M Haile Selassie. Selassie's plea for human rights now created the most powerful anti-racist statement.

Until the philosophy which holds one race
Superior and another inferior
Is finally and permanently discredited and abandoned
Everywhere is war, me say war

That until there is no longer first class
And second class citizens of any nation
Until the colour of a man's skin
Is of no more significance than the colour of his eyes
Me say war

That until the basic human rights are equally
Guaranteed to all, without regard to race
Dis a war

That until that day
The dream of lasting peace, world citizenship
Rule of international morality
Will remain in but a fleeting illusion
To be pursued, but never attained
Now everywhere is war, war

And until the ignoble and unhappy regimes
That hold our brothers in Angola, in Mozambique,
South Africa sub-human bondage
Have been toppled, utterly destroyed
Well, everywhere is war, me say war

War in the east, war in the west
War up north, war down south
War, war, rumours of war

And until that day, the African continent
Will not know peace, we Africans will fight
We find it necessary and we know we shall win
As we are confident in the victory

Of good over evil, good over evil, good over evil
Good over evil, good over evil, good over evil
GMAN_XTREME

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my humble opinon,

No song exists that can *effectively* counter racism. I say this because all of the musicians: Outkast, Jay Z, Tupac, Goodie Mob, Dead Prez, Mos Def, Bob Marley, etc. are all confused about how racism/white supremacy works. If you take a look at any of their albums and note the consistentcy of theme, you will find none. Every album is a variety of speech about their *experiences* within a system of racism/white supremacy.

But, how can that help? It doesn't help one bit. All victims of racism know what it is like to be mistreated. So, no new information is being released. Every song is a variation on the same themes:

1) Life is hard for non-white people
2) Non-white people are mistreated in the area of economics
3) Non-white people are mistreated in the area of education
4) Non-white people are mistreated in the area of sex
5) This is how Victims of Racism interact with other Victims of Racism
6) Non-white females need to give non-white males support
7) Non-white males need to give non-white females support

Those are the themes most expressed in the music produced by victims of racism. What do they have in common: They never seriously address the white supremacist/racist. The most I've heard is a bit of name-calling (crackers, wiggers, etc.) and that's it.

Yes, Haile made a speech to the UN about racism/white supremacy. But, years later he gets a bullet in his head, Eritrea fights for independence from Ethiopia, Somalia fights for its independance from Ethiopia, and Ehtiopia is left in poverty, AIDS, and strife. Why? Because Haile did not understand racism/white supremacy. His speech was good, but not good enough to depose white supremacy.

As for Outkast, Tupac, Mos Def, and any other rapper you can throw in there; They don't understand racism/white supremacy. How do I know this? Just look at the track listing on any of their albums. They go from praising females to calling them bitches. Some of them, a majority of them. The album espresses confusion and lack of focus on white supremacy/racism. Whatever the focus is, it is not racism/white supremacy. This is why THEY are allowed to continue producing music to sell to victims of racism who are looking for answers to end their mistreatment.

If a commercially successful musician produces music that effectively counters racism by delivering SOLID and CLEAR counter-racist code, that musician WILL be FIRED and all benefits gained will be taken away. Their profitability status will DROP and that will be the end of them. Why? Because white supremacists WILL NOT tolerate it.

As long as the music:

0)keeps focus on niggers and off of White Supremacists
1)releases no new information about how racism/white supremacy works
2)promotes the perception that victims of racism are not victims of racism
3)expresses the experiences/pathologies of victims of racism
4)promotes conflict between victims of racism (rhyme battling, etc.)
5)glorafies the experiences/pathologies of victims of racism

It will be tolerated and promoted. But, when the musicians begin to deliver counter-racist code in their songs, that's when they are targetted for dismissal and/or termination of contract.

I give this suggestion, If you are a musician attempting to reveal truth about racism/white supremacy, you better have an alternative plan to market and distribute your music independantly. Otherwise, you will be at the mercy of white supremacists/racists who will see to it that your work is as ineffective as possible at helping to replace white supremacy with justice.

Whoo Hah! Got ya all in check!

comments? questions?
copious

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting post GMAN.

I think these fellas who rhyme are more adapt than your post gave them credit for. During the slave ages when whites were trying to BREAK ther backs of the black spirit the whites started using Christianity as a means to enslave the MIND of blacks by telling them GOD wants you to "pray for" your oppressor and by doing GOD's will "you" will recieve the fruits of your labor in "heaven".

Sick.

Meanwhile, the slaves needed a place that they could commune WITH the white's permision so they externally complied by singing hyms like "steal away". To anyone listening these songs sounded like Lord gonna steal me away REALLY ment I'm getting out of here as SOON as possible; all together now

Code is what these fellas are using cause they KNOW who distributes thier music are suspect racist white supremacist.

Have you heard common's new album? Brother is speaking CODE! even the cover is CODE.

On the OKPlayer web site (his home base) you can hear the WHOLE albumn ! check it.

cope

http://www.okayplayer.com/common/
HelixHair

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

GMAN_XTREME wrote:
Whatever the focus is, it is not racism/white supremacy. This is why THEY are allowed to continue producing music to sell to victims of racism who are looking for answers to end their mistreatment.

In my judgement, that's following the logic and not just the beat.
Edward Williams
Site Admin

Location: I am from everywhere I've ever been and everywhere I've never been

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting post.

Who you got in check? That's interesting.

I suspect the focus of the pople that wrote what you've posted is white supremacy (racism)...only from the perspective of the victim of racism (white supremacy) without the language necessary to describe the phenomenon of racism (white supremacy) from the perspective of being able to think about it logically...and also think about solutions logically.

Non-white people do a lot of talking about "the problem". Even non-white people that know about and use counter-racist codification do a lot of talking about "the problem"...and I'm trying to get further and further away from only doing just that.

Counter-Racism is about problem solving...not just problem identification...or problem discussion...but a lot of us...non-white people...have been trained under the SYSTEM of white supremacy (racism) to never get beyond problem perception. The language we use as victims of racism (white supremacy) is language designed for the racists (white supremacists).

We understand reality through words. If you are not using words to reveal truth you are essentially lieing to yourself because everything you perceive will be false...even in your mind...as you are reading this.
GMAN_XTREME

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will attempt to respond as best I can.

Copious wrote:
Quote:
Code is what these fellas are using cause they KNOW who distributes thier music are suspect racist white supremacist.

Have you heard common's new album? Brother is speaking CODE! even the cover is CODE.

You are correct. I attempted to comment on the most influential musicians. 50 Cent, Snoop Dog, Neptunes, etc. These guys get massive airplay. Not Common, Mos Def, etc. The most influential are the ones that shape the minds of the young and form the outlook for the future. So, if they not talkin bout code; they spreadin' confusion and/or adding to problem perception of victims of racism. I used to listen to Common, his stuff is very good for the *conscious* market. You see what I just did?

Conscious Hip Hop? What is that? This is to maintain confusion. By calling the music *concsious* you are prompted to select it as you would select country, gospel, house, or techno. "Consiousness aint my taste. Pass me that Hypnotiq wit da Hennessy Ballers Mob. I like that s***. Them niggas keep it real". Unfortunately, Common said the following on Hip Hop Babylon which airs on VH1; The conscious stuff don't sell. And if you don't sell, your contract is history.
He was discussing his rank within the company that produces his albums. He was ranked below Ludacris in sales and that meant more pressure for him to produce a top selling album.

As for placing code in their work, it don't work. John Singleton attempted to place all kinds of code in his movie, Baby Boy, but the really razor-sharp content was left on the editing room floor or taken out of the script altogether. The film just became another problem perception film produced by a victim of racism/white supremacy. And many in the non-white audience said "I'm tired of seeing this weak s***! This is f***ing Boys in the Hood part 2!"

Virtual_GOD Wrote:
Quote:

I suspect the focus of the pople that wrote what you've posted is white supremacy (racism)...only from the perspective of the victim of racism (white supremacy) without the language necessary to describe the phenomenon of racism (white supremacy) from the perspective of being able to think about it logically...and also think about solutions logically.

I have no one in check. I was listening to Whoo Hah by Bustah Rhymes while writing the post and decided to throw it in for effect.

Yes! That's it! That is the term I was fishing for....problem perception. Every song I hear played over the radio, this is how most folks get their music, is problem perception and never moves beyond that. Even if you download MP3s, your gonna get the motivation from some song you heard somewhere else, possibly the radio or a friend who listened to the radio.

Yes, the musicians are adapt(adept), as Copious said. But, they lack the language to express the solution that they are attempting to deliver. Their skill is their sensitivity. What do they sense? They sense that something is incorrect and go to the studio to produce a public announcement that something is incorrect. Revealing Truth.
But, they run into problems when delivering a solution to the problem which they have perceived. That's what I was attempting to say above.

Constanlty speaking on problem perception without speaking of problem solutions that are effective only work to increase the problem and lead farther away from problem resolution.

So Gone by Monica
Listen, boy, I'm a rowdy chick
Some times I have to fight ?cause my mouth too slick
Baby, why you doing me like I ain't worth s***
Make me wanna ride passed your house and sit
Kick down your door and smack your chick
Just to show you Monica not having it
So in love with you like a drug habit get
{So gone} You treat me so unreal

questions? comments?

Last edited by GMAN_XTREME on Tue Sep 23, 2003 3:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Edward Williams
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

GMAN_XTREME wrote:
I will attempt to respond as best I can.

Copious wrote:
Quote:

You are correct. I attempted to comment on the most influential musicians. 50 Cent, Snoop Dog, Neptunes, etc. These guys get massive airplay. Not Common, Mos Def, etc. The most influential are the ones that shape the minds of the young and form the outlook for the future. So, if they not talkin bout code; they spreadin' confusion and/or adding to problem perception of victims of racism. I used to listen to Common, his stuff is very good for the *conscious* market. You see what I just did?

Conscious Hip Hop? What is that? This is to maintain confusion. By calling the music *concsious* you are prompted to select it as you would select country, gospel, house, or techno. "Consiousness aint my taste. Pass me that Hypnotiq wit da Hennessy Ballers Mob. I like that s***. Them niggas keep it real". Unfortunately, Common said the following on Hip Hop Babylon which airs on VH1; The conscious stuff don't sell. And if you don't sell, your contract is history.
He was discussing his rank within the company that produces his albums. He was ranked below Ludacris in sales and that meant more pressure for him to produce a top selling album.

Virtual_GOD Wrote:
Quote:

I have no one in check. I was listening to Bustah Rhymes Whoo Hah while writing the post and decided to throw it in for effect.

Yes! That's it! That is the term I was fishing for....problem perception. Every song I hear played over the radio, this is how most folks get their music, is problem perception and never moves beyond that. Even if you dowload MP3s, your gonna get the motivation from some song you heard that was played somewhere else, possibly the radio or a friend who listened to the radio.

Yes...we perceive (perception) reality through words. The words we use become "symbolic" of the reality we see. This is why Fuller says "always try to see what you are looking at"...because we tend not to know what we're looking at because of the words being used through verbal speech and thoughts, which are unverbalized speech. This method produces in our minds a picture that does not reveal truth...and at this point the words have become more important than truth (that which is).

This is why it is so impotant to use words that reveal truth. When using words to reveal truth we come to understand what we are looking at. So without the language to describe what we're looking at...racism (white supremacy)...we end up not thinking about "the problem" in the correct way and therefore cannot think about solutions to "the problem" correctly...and the result is what you hear in those "songs".

GMAN_XTREME wrote:
Yes, the musicians are adapt(adept), as Copious said. But, they lack the language to express the solution that they are attempting to deliver. Their skill is their sensitivity. What do they sense? They sense that something is incorrect and go to the studio to produce a public announcement that something is incorrect. Revealing Truth.
But, they run into problems when delivering a solution to the problem which they have perceived. That's what I was attempting to say above.

Constanlty speaking on problem perception without speaking of problem solutions that are effective only work to increase the problem and lead farther away from problem resolution.

So Gone by Monica
Listen, boy, I'm a rowdy chick
Some times I have to fight ?cause my mouth too slick
Baby, why you doing me like I ain't worth this s***
Make me wanna ride passed your house and sit
Kick down your door and smack your chick
Just to show you Monica not having it
So in love with you like a drug habit get
{So gone} You treat me so unreal

questions? comments?

No doubt.
Josh

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow GMAN,

That was an in depth analysis complete with mechanics...Thanx for the info.

Now if I could only make it into a song.

BTW,

I gotta give props to Ice Cube for his counter racism efforts. Its not always the most codified or sophisticated but he ain't afraid to try.

Besides, he's one of the few rappers I know who could successfully rhyme the word "Nubian" without using a proper noun.

"doin us wrong from the very first day, and don't understand why a nigga got a AK..."--Ice Cube

Josh
GMAN_XTREME

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been most productive. Thanks Karim for initiating this discussion! In conclusion, my only suggestion would be that musicians, if you are reading this or know of someone producing music, tell them:

1)Have an independent method of distributing your music
2)When expressing problem perception, offer problem solutions so the listener can establish a problem resolution for themselves.
3)attempt to minimize conflict between non-white people
4)encourage people to think critcally at all times
5)encourage people to use words to reveal truth and solutions

That, in my opinion works with the beat in making the music valuable.
Many songs that are released are stories (Jay Z and Common). It would be great if they presented solutions also. That is what the evolution of the music wil be. Especially if its effective in the goal of Replacing White Supremacy with Justice. I'll cop bout 4-5 albums of that!

Copious, I just listened to some Common and you were right. He delivers code. Why? Because he delivers problem perception and IMMEDIATELY moves into problem solutions/constructive responses: CODIFIED RESPONSES! I hope he can continue.

Victory by P. Diddy
P-Diddy run the city, show no pity
I'm the witty one, Frank's the crook from the Brook'
Matty broke the neck of your coke connect
No respect squeeze off til all y'all diminish
Shootouts for twenty minutes, until we finish
Venice took the loot, escaped, in the Coupe
Break bread, with the kiss, Peniro, sheek loops
Black Rob joined the mob, it ain't no replacin him
Niggaz step up, we just macin them
placin them in funerals, criminals turned aroused
The Brick City, nobody come off like P-Diddy

questions? comments?
Karim

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 3:21 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Quote:
Freedom Time
Song by: Lauren Hill
"MTV Un-pluged"

Everybody knows that they're guilty, everybody knows that they've lied/Everybody knows that they're guilty, yes resting on their conscience, eating their insides.

It's freedom, said it's freedom time now, It's freedom, said it's freedom time now. Time to get free, oh give yourselves up now, it's freedom, said it's freedom time

There's a war in the mind over territory for the dominion/Who will dominate the opinion, schisms and -isms/Keeping us in forms of religion, conforming our vision to the world church's decision/Trapped in a section, submitted to committee election/Moral infection, epidemic lies and deception/Insurrection of the highest possible order/Distorting our tape recorders from hearing like under water/Beyond the borders fond of sin and disorder, bound by the strategy of systemic depravity/Heavy as gravity, head-first in the cavity without a bottom/A fate worse than Sodom/What's got 'em drunk off the spirits, truth comes we can't hear it 'when you've been programmed to fear it/I had a vision I was falling in indecision, appalling, calling religion some program on television/How could dominant wisdom be recognized in a system of antichrists and majority rules/Intelligent fools/PhDs in illusion, masters of mass confusion, bachelors of past delusion/Now who you choosin, the head or the tail/The bloodshed of the male, or confidence in the veil/Conferences at Yale discussing doctrines of Baal, causing people to fail, keeping the third in jail/His word has nailed everything to the tree, severing all of me from all that I used to be/Formless and void, totally paranoid, enjoyed darkness as/Lord keeping me from the sword, I was blocked from mercy, bitter than cerasee/hungry and thirsty for good meat we would eat and still dine at the table of deceit/How incomplete/From confrontation to retreat, we prolonged the true enemies' defeat/Destitute of necessity /Causing desperation to get the best of me/Punishment till there was nothing left of me, realizing the unescapable death of me/No options in the valley of decision/The only doctrine supernatural circumcision/Inwardly only water can purge the heart from words/The fiery darts thrown by the workers of the arts/Iniquity, shapen in, there's no escaping when your whole philosophy is paper thin/In vanity, the wide road is insanity/Could it be all of humanity? Picture that/Scripture that! The origin of man's heart is black/How can we show up for an invisible war/Preoccupied with a shadow, making love with a whore, aching in sores/Babylon the great mystery, mother of human history, system of social sorcery/Our present condition needs serious recognition/Where there's no repentence there can be no remission, and that sentence more serious than Vietnam, the atom bomb, and Saddam, and Minister Farrakhan/What's going on? What's a priority to you? By what authority do we do/The majority hasn't a clue/We've majored in curses, search the chapters, check the verses, recapture the land, remove the mark from off our hands, so we can stand in agreement with His command/Everything else is damned, let them with ears understand. Everything else is damned, let them with ears understand…

It's freedom, said it's freedom time now, It's freedom, said it's freedom time now. It's freedom, I'm a be who I am, it's freedom time, said it's freedom time

Everybody knows that they've lied, Everybody knows they've perpetrated inside Everybody knows that they're guilty yes, resting on their conscience, eating their insides.

Get free, be who your supposed to be, freedom, said it's freedom time now, freedom, said it's freedom time, freedom, freedom time.

This is some codified sh-t...

Man I was wondering what happen to Lauren and fount out she grab some conscience. d--n
Dan Freeman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 7:13 am    Post subject: hmmmm Reply with quote

Can anyone give an example of how a "song" counters Racsim?

I was under the impression that is something people had to do.

smallz
copious

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smallz,

I believe certain songs promote counter racist thought and linear logical thought as well. Fuller says in the code book that any music that promotes constructive thinking is good music as opposed to noise.

cope
Edward Williams
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

copious wrote:
smallz,

I believe certain songs promote counter racist thought and linear logical thought as well. Fuller says in the code book that any music that promotes constructive thinking is good music as opposed to noise.

cope

What page in the code book does Fuller refer to any music as "good music"?

What is "linear logical thought"?

What is your definition of "linear"?
What is your definition of "logic"?
What is your definition of "thought"?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Counter-Racism Work/Study Project Forum Index -> Counter-Racism Strategies and Techniques All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: