HomeCounter-Racism Radio NetworkCounter-Racism Television NetworkArticlesProjectsCounter-Racism Work/Study ProjectShopping MallContact
Secure DonationsSecure Donations  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Log inLog in

"John Henry" Syndrome

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Counter-Racism Work/Study Project Forum Index -> How to Counter Racism (White Supremacy) in the Work Place
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Josh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 11:28 pm    Post subject: "John Henry" Syndrome Reply with quote

When it comes to the practice of racism in the work place, the White supremacists fully understand that many Black people are out to "prove themselves" to White people. They understand that many Black people will go to great length to prove that they are as "good" as White people.

The groundwork for this kind of behavior is laid in early childhood; often by well meaning Black "parents" who tell their off spring, "since you're Black, you hafta be twice a good as Johnny..."

This is an example of some of the vague information that victims of racism get that leaves them ill prepared to counter racism in the work place. The White supremacists exploit this type of victim instruction by assigning Black workers tasks that while not necessarially immpossible, are often dull, repetitive or even dangerous.

The Black person faced with this type of mistreatment often adopts a "John Henry" posture and sets out to prove that he can take anything the White supremacists hands out. The result is, the Black person uses up all their patience and diligence at work and brings all the tension and anger home where it ultimately infects other Black people.

All Black people should keep track of duties and assignments in the work place and use LANGUAGE to counter this racist tactic I call the "John Henry" syndrome.

Josh
Dan Freeman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 12:07 pm    Post subject: john henry smallz Reply with quote

Hey, I know exactly what u mean......

I have expeirieced this type of behavoir as well in the workplace.

I've noticed that I was working much "harder" than any of immediate white co-workers.

And at first, it seemed to be the thing to do since I was able to "prove-myself" by showing off how much work I could do in a short period of time...

{{{shakin my head}}}

With hindsight at 20/20, I can't ever recall ever being compensated for exceeding the standard by working "harder"...

Which is why I suspect many black (non white) people don't get compensated for "hard-work" cause that's the only kind of work there is for victims-of-racism. The "hard" kind......

In fact, the only thing I can remember ever "getting" as a result of working "harder" is more damn work!!

I guess this is why presumably, a white person came up with the phrase:

"Work smarter, NOT harder"

NIGGER!!

Cause "hard" work = Nigger work

In california I've heard white people use the term manuel-labor instead of MANUAL-labor to describe "hard work".

In other words, manuel = victim-of-racsim, and that's who MANUAL-labor was designed to be for.

Fuller told me a story one time about a supervisor he had who was forced to get down and do some "hard-work" while he sat and observed as a new employee. He said everything was fine until another "supervisor" walked in and made a joke about Fuller's supervisor doing the "hard-work" and fuller sittin' back watching. Apparently, fullers supervisor didn't take the joke so well and responded to the other supervisor by saying:

"GET ME SOME HELP IN HERE, I'M SUPPOSED TO BE A SUPERVISOR NOT A GOD-DAMN NIGGER"

RWSWJ

smallz
MsTreated

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 11:42 am    Post subject: Hard Work Reply with quote

Sometimes it may not be an attempt to prove one "as good as" white people, but rather a futile attempt at survival. Non-white people are sometimes made to understand that they are indeed the "last hired, first fired", so in an attempt to make themselves "invaluable" they work much harder in hopes that they will not be replaced so quickly by the supervisor's nephew fresh out of high school. (at least not for 6 months) :roll:
Josh

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so in an attempt to make themselves "invaluable" they work much harder in hopes that they will not be replaced so quickly by the supervisor's nephew fresh out of high school. (at least not for 6 months)--MsTreated

Yeah, and this is why I call it the "John Henry Syndrome", have you heard the story?

This is where the heart disease, high blood pressure, diabettes, alcoholism, poor diet, smoking, over weight...

It just makes you dead.

Given John Henry's abilities with a hammer, he should have been the first one trained to run the steam shovel.

But then again, this is a system of White supremacy.

Josh
Wannabright

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Josh wrote:
Yeah, and this is why I call it the "John Henry Syndrome", have you heard the story?

This is where the heart disease, high blood pressure, diabettes, alcoholism, poor diet, smoking, over weight...

It just makes you dead.

Given John Henry's abilities with a hammer, he should have been the first one trained to run the steam shovel.

Josh

Here are two versions of the John Henry Story for anyone who hasn't read it.
http://www.wxxi.org/storytelling/stories/jhenry.htm

The Qur'an
Sura 21, Ayat 18
Edward Williams
Site Admin

Location: I am from everywhere I've ever been and everywhere I've never been

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wannabright,

Why put those big pictures in your post? In the future it would be better to place a link to the information.
Wannabright

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 10:33 pm    Post subject: They are links.............. Reply with quote

V-god, The picture you are referring to IS a link. I know you know you can link images from outside your website... And, I know you know you have the tools for it in your edit post... explain the "in the future" ... quote. Do you not want us to use the tools given?

The Qur'an
Sura 21, Ayat 18
Edward Williams
Site Admin

Location: I am from everywhere I've ever been and everywhere I've never been

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: They are links.............. Reply with quote

Wannabright wrote:
V-god, The picture you are referring to IS a link. I know you know you can link images from outside your website... And, I know you know you have the tools for it in your edit post... explain the "in the future" ... quote. Do you not want us to use the tools given?

Wannabright,

Who is "us"...I'm talking to you. Is there a problem here? Do you speak for someone other than yourself? I don't get THE LOGIC. Right now is the future from when you made the post.

I understand that the picture is a link but it distorts the message board to have a post with large pictures in it. It's not about doing something if you're able to do it, is it? I'm sure you are capable of doing a lot of things that I suspect you're NOT doing. No need to go back and forht on this, I'm asking you not to link to large pictures and have them display in the post.

As far as I can see, JUSTICE is about guaranteeing that no person is mistreated and guaranteeing the person that needs help the most gets the most help...therefore visually impaired people who use screenreaders such as JAWS or EMACSPEAK will not be able to view the text in the picture. How does that help the people that need help the most? For future reference, it is always a good idea to use the "ALT" tag on images of any type on your web pages so people with visual disabilities looking at your website will have some idea of what the picture is and what the picture means. Also, never use the word "image" in the "ALT" tag description.

Perhaps one day you will REVEAL TRUTH and tell me just where this contention is coming from. This is NOT the forum for that though. We can meet anytime and anywhere of your choosing. Just let me know.
Auditor1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Josh wrote:
so in an attempt to make themselves "invaluable" they work much harder in hopes that they will not be replaced so quickly by the supervisor's nephew fresh out of high school. (at least not for 6 months)--MsTreated

It just makes you dead.

Josh

I certainly can bare witness to the John Henry Syndrome, I found myself caught up in it. A white co-worker once refered to me as "strong", I didn't take to kindly to that discription because I knew what the coded meaning behind it was, the John Henry Syndrome.

That is why every hour that I spend on job battling for survival my mind is usually pre-occupied with thinking of a way of doing for myself and not having to work on the white man's jobs. Its freedom vs. the 9-5 struggle for survival.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Counter-Racism Work/Study Project Forum Index -> How to Counter Racism (White Supremacy) in the Work Place All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: