HomeCounter-Racism Radio NetworkCounter-Racism Television NetworkArticlesProjectsCounter-Racism Work/Study ProjectShopping MallContact
Secure DonationsSecure Donations  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Log inLog in

It Is My Understanding...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Counter-Racism Work/Study Project Forum Index -> How to Counter Racism (White Supremacy) in the Work Place
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edward Williams
Site Admin

Location: I am from everywhere I've ever been and everywhere I've never been

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 8:54 am    Post subject: It Is My Understanding... Reply with quote

These are four words I start statements with on the job that I have found out keeps the focus off me when something has happened that should not have happened.

For example, there was a deliverable due at one time that I had to personally take through the "Quality Assurance" process before it was delivered to the client. The document ended in the possession of my manager, who was on vacation at the time. A senior manager asked me for the document and I told him I didn't have it so he asked me where is it.

I stated..."It is my understanding..." and before I could say anything else the senior manager said..."That's not a good answer...". Isn't that interesting? I finished my statement by saying..."It is my understanding that the document is in the possession of my manager (I gave the person's name). He stood there looking as if he was angry. He pulled out his cell phone and called my manager, who was on vacation, and asked him (it was a him at the time) where the document was...looked at me angrily and walked away. I asked him if there was anything I could do to help.

THE LOGIC is that it IS my understanding but I could've been given incorrect information. I've even had to say that before...where I stated..."It is my understanding that we should follow the process according to policy. Now I could be incorrect about this because I could've been given incorrect information. If I have incorrect information could you please tell me what the correct information is?"

I would then write down the person's name, date, time, and what they told me was the correct information. This keeps me from being harmed. Avoid making statements that you could have problems with later on. Learn to make statements in such a way as to keep you from being harmed on the job.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Counter-Racism Work/Study Project Forum Index -> How to Counter Racism (White Supremacy) in the Work Place All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: