HomeCounter-Racism Radio NetworkCounter-Racism Television NetworkArticlesProjectsCounter-Racism Work/Study ProjectShopping MallContact
Secure DonationsSecure Donations  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Log inLog in

Self-Respect and Self-Disrespect

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Counter-Racism Work/Study Project Forum Index -> Following THE LOGIC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trina

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 12:43 am    Post subject: Self-Respect and Self-Disrespect Reply with quote

The counter-racist definition of Self-Respect is: Refusing to lie to oneself, and letting all others know of that refusal. The just treatment one's self (mind,body,spirit).

a) just(ice)-Balance between people or within one's self.

The opposite of Self-Respect is Self-Disrespect : (1) Lying to oneself, and letting all others know of this self-deception(direct violence to oneself). (2) The nonjust treatment of the one's self (mind, body,spirit)

a) nonjust(ice) The lack of balance between people or within one's self.

Under the system of White Supremacy(Racism) many non-white people have been taught by the White Supremacists self-disrespect. This self-disrespect may come in the form of denying the existence of R/WS or killing or mistreating oneself or other VOR's, mutilating one's physical person and making negative thoughts or comments about oneself and other VOR's( I am a fucked up individual, Black people ain't shit, Niggers should suffer,I hate myself,etc.)

I bring this up because I have read posts on this site and other counter-racist websites by VOR's who have said they don't like themselves and others like them. I don't argue with these statements because we have all expressed similar thoughts at one time or another. These people may be making factual statements. However, if we continue to show self-disrespect how is it that we seek and deserve TRUTH, JUSTICE, CORRECTNESS. I HATE MYSELF AND OTHER'S LIKE ME, BUT I WANT AND DESERVE TRUTH AND JUSTICE. I am not sure if I FOLLOW THE LOGIC.

Maybe, we should redefine ourselves and say our behavior is incorrect or I have negative feelings towards myself and others at this time, however, I am in the process of changing them for the better. I don't have white or nonwhite* friends* but I do have white or nonwhite associates. Instead of saying "I am stupid". I could say right here, right now I am being unintelligent. This implies that this is not the usual state for me. I may or may not return to a state of being intelligent.

Trina

Last edited by Trina on Sat Aug 02, 2003 4:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
Edward Williams
Site Admin

Location: I am from everywhere I've ever been and everywhere I've never been

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Self-Respect and Self-Disrespect Reply with quote

Trina wrote:
The counter-racist definition of Self-Respect is: Refusing to lie to oneself, and letting all others know of that refusal. Positive and/or correct treatment of one's total self (mind, body,spirit).

The opposite of Self-Respect is Self-Disrespect : (1) Lying to oneself, and letting all others know of this self-deception(direct violence to oneself).
(2) Negative or incorrect treatment of one's total self (mind,body,spirit).

Under the system of White Supremacy(Racism) many non-white people
have been taught by the White Supremacists self-disrespect.
This self-disrespect may come in the form of denying the existence of R/WS or killing or mistreating oneself or other VOR's, mutilating one's physical person and making negative thoughts or comments about oneself and other VOR's( I am a fucked up individual, Black people ain't shit, Niggers should suffer,I hate myself,etc.)

I bring this up because I have read posts on this site and other counter-racist websites by VOR's who have said they don't like themselves and others like them. I don't argue with these statements because we have all expressed similar thoughts at one time or another. These people may be making factual statements. However, if we continue to show self-disrespect how is it that we seek and deserve TRUTH, JUSTICE, CORRECTNESS. I HATE MYSELF AND OTHER'S LIKE ME, BUT I WANT AND DESERVE TRUTH AND JUSTICE. I am not sure if I FOLLOW THE LOGIC.

I question whether the word "positive" and/or "negative" is even needed. The reason I do this is because those words will have to be defined as well. Even the words correct and incorrect will have to be defined by you if you want someone to know exactly what you are talking about.

I have stated these words "I don't like nobody in here and I don't like myself half the time". When I say this I mean that I understand my position as a victim of white supremacy (racism) and that is what I don't like half the time. I am currently in a position that requires me to cooperate with the racists (white supremacists)...all non-white people are...from the non-white person begging on the streets to Colin Powell...currently we all cooperate with the white supremacists (racists) in some form or fashion.

When I state things like this I am recognizing my weakness in the current supreme political SYSTEM. Now, the part of me I do like is the part of me that is persistent and determined to replace white supremacy (racism) with justice. This process, although a conceptual one currently, requires me to reveal truth and use truth to promote justice and correctness in all places and at all times.

Always go by hard evidence. Where is the evidence that I like myself if I cooperate with people that say and/or do things specifically to harm me? How can I say I like myself under those conditions? It would be insanity for me to do so.

Now in saying those things I am at a position to begin to respect myself by refusing to lie to myself and letting all others know I refuse to lie to myself.
Trina

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Virtual_GOD,

I think I overstand or comprehend what you are saying. Thank you for the clarification.

Trina
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Counter-Racism Work/Study Project Forum Index -> Following THE LOGIC All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: