HomeCounter-Racism Radio NetworkCounter-Racism Television NetworkArticlesProjectsCounter-Racism Work/Study ProjectShopping MallContact
Secure DonationsSecure Donations  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Log inLog in

"Baby Blues"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Counter-Racism Work/Study Project Forum Index -> Following THE LOGIC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Josh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 12:01 am    Post subject: "Baby Blues" Reply with quote

I have often heard Blue colored eyes described as "baby blues"

Why is this term used?

Does it have anything to do with babies?

Today I saw an elderly Black woman with skin the same color as me, her eyes were Blue, she ain't no baby.

Are my eyes gonna turn blue when my hair turns gray like hers?

Josh
Trina

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: "Baby Blues" Reply with quote

Josh wrote:

Why is this term used?

Today I saw an elderly Black woman with skin the same color as me, her eyes were Blue, she ain't no baby.

Josh

Josh,
That's an interesting observation. My brother had blue eyes as a baby according to my mother and wherever she took him White people would comment and lavish him with attention. I think blue eyes and blond hair are understood by White people as being recessive traits. Recessive can correlate to meaning not dominant and vulnerable. When I think of babies I think of beings who are helpless and vulnerable. Hence, the term "baby blues". White people tend to project blue eyes and blond hair as the most desirable traits along with white skin that people should want to have. The dominant genetic traits among people is to have dark skin and brown eyes. Ninety percent of the world's population has these traits in varying degrees. Maybe, its a cryptic admission amongst White people of their genetic recessive state.

Will you have blue eyes as you get older? Look at older people in your family. If you don't see any evidence of it then you might not. Blue eyes and blond hair in Black people are still rare traits. Do you want to have blue eyes when you get older? Just wondering.

Trina
Edward Williams
Site Admin

Location: I am from everywhere I've ever been and everywhere I've never been

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: "Baby Blues" Reply with quote

Josh wrote:

Why is this term used?

Josh

Interesting Josh. Why do you think this term is used?

What is THE LOGIC for using the term "baby blues"?
Josh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you want to have blue eyes when you get older? Just wondering.--Trina

Look, when Im old I just want my eyes to work good! Ive always had great eyesight, back in my 20s I could see in the dark. Unlike some of my friends who have been wearing glasses since they was 7; it might be traumatic for me to hafta START doing so.

Ive noticed my eyes have less ability these days, specifically in their extreme short range focusing power and low light capability. But on the plus side, I now know what to look for when I look at something.

As for the logic behind the term "baby blues" regarding eye color. I need more data. Interestingly, most mammals and a lot of birds enter the world lacking signifigent amounts of pigment. What melanin they have is usually concentrated in their most sensitive areas i.e. eyes, scrotum...

Eye color plays an important role in visual accuity in part by preventing ambient light from "leaking" through the iris and contaminating the light focused through the pupil. The pupil is actually a clear lens which the iris focuses. It just looks black because its dark inside your eye. Its supposed to be dark in there. The only light your optic nerve should be registering is that which has been focused through the pupil.

This is why dark eyes tend to function better that light colored eyes.

I have some data which is gonna blow your minds when you understand the mechanics behind it and specifically the critical role melanin plays in vision.

Im working on a paper for the articles section of this web sight.

See, White people ain't gonna present this information to you cause they want you to KEEP desiring and valueing blue eyes. They want you to think blue eyes "look" better.. The revelation of truth is what Black people need to "see".

See what?

See what they lookin at.

Josh
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Counter-Racism Work/Study Project Forum Index -> Following THE LOGIC All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: