HomeCounter-Racism Radio NetworkCounter-Racism Television NetworkArticlesProjectsCounter-Racism Work/Study ProjectShopping MallContact
Secure DonationsSecure Donations  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Log inLog in

‘whiteness studies’ - University of Massachusetts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Counter-Racism Work/Study Project Forum Index -> Following THE LOGIC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
copious

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 2:53 am    Post subject: ‘whiteness studies’ - University of Massachusetts Reply with quote

Ok, here's the deal. I was doing some late night reading wondering what white people up to today - that they letting me know about, of course.

Then I found this article on MSNBC. http://www.msnbc.com/news/928992.asp?0dm=N19ON

Moments in laughter:

“YOU LOOKED BEHIND YOU and became really uncomfortable,” said Cairns, a 24-year-old junior who stood at the front of the classroom with other white students. Asian and black students she admired were near the back.

“Historically, it has been common to see whites as a people who don’t have a race, to see racial identity as something others have,” said Howard Winant, a white professor of sociology at the University of California at Santa Barbara and a strong proponent of whiteness studies

“It’s so evil that one author has called for the abolition of whiteness,” he said. “I have read their books, and it’s just despicable.”

Whiteness studies can be traced to the writings of black intellectuals such as W.E.B. DuBois and James Baldwin, but the field did not coalesce until liberal white scholars embraced it about eight years ago, according to some who helped shape it.

Scientists have determined that there is scant genetic distinction between races, and the 2000 Census allowed residents to define themselves by multiple racial categories for the first time.

Winnie Chen, 22, the daughter of Chinese immigrants, said it pained her to deal with race every day when her white peers seemed to rarely think about it. She tried to discuss race with a white friend once, she said, but he felt ambushed.
    “He said I was pulling a Pearl Harbor on him,”

LOL.. And so MUCH MUCH MORE!

Replace racism white supremacy with justice.

Until next time,
cope
Dan Freeman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 2:24 am    Post subject: hey cope... Reply with quote

I also found this article intresting.....

Check out the artice review section on this website, where I did a review of that article.....

smallz
Edward Williams
Site Admin

Location: I am from everywhere I've ever been and everywhere I've never been

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 6:51 am    Post subject: Cope... Reply with quote

Cope,

Smallz did an excellent job of reviewing that article. I think everyone should take a minute and review it. It is located on the Articles page under Newspaper Articles and is entitled "Whiteness".
Josh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

“Historically, it has been common to see whites as a people who don’t have a race, to see racial identity as something others have,” said Howard Winant, a white professor of sociology at the University of California at Santa Barbara and a strong proponent of whiteness studies"

Counter racist translation Historically, White people have been "color struck" They have been trained to see ________ as something "others" have. (fill in the blank)

Hint (its why they classify themselves as non color i.e. White)

“It’s so evil that one author has called for the abolition of whiteness,” he said. “I have read their books, and it’s just despicable

[b Counter racist translation[/b] Noel Ignatiev is the White person who calls for the abolition of the White race. See this is an example of a White person supporting a position he knows other White people can be comfortable supporting. What he means is not as important as the poor choice of words I suspect he deliberatly chose to express it. Calling for the elimination of people who LOOK like Diane Sawyer/Prince Charles... ain't something any person who supports Justice can support.

I suspect this is Why he is saying this.

Winnie Chen, 22, the daughter of Chinese immigrants, said it pained her to deal with race every day when her white peers seemed to rarely think about it. She tried to discuss race with a white friend once, she said, but he felt ambushed.
“He said I was pulling a Pearl Harbor on him,”

Counter racism translation This was a great one, see how the words this White guy used betray his understanding of racism White supremacy?

"He said I was pulling a PEARL HARBOR on him"

A "sneak attack"...How "yellow" of her.

A large part of our "nigger training" is designed to make non white people fear they are mistreating White people when we ask the question about racism White supremacy.

A White female told me the critical question I asked her (are you a White person?) offended her. When I asked her why, she took a long time but finally said, " it should be apparent to you".

See what I mean?

"don't make a public display of my vulnerable recessive genetic status or my numerically inferior status on this planet...YOU are the one we call a minor[ity]"

Josh
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Counter-Racism Work/Study Project Forum Index -> Following THE LOGIC All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: