HomeCounter-Racism Radio NetworkCounter-Racism Television NetworkArticlesProjectsCounter-Racism Work/Study ProjectShopping MallContact
Secure DonationsSecure Donations  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Log inLog in

No Emotional Response

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Counter-Racism Work/Study Project Forum Index -> Counter-Racism Science Project
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edward Williams
Site Admin

Location: I am from everywhere I've ever been and everywhere I've never been

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:56 am    Post subject: No Emotional Response Reply with quote

Observed Phenomenon:

Non-white people respond emotionally to something they may not agree with.

Hypothesis:

The white people who practice racism (white supremacy) know exactly how to use words to get a non-white person to feel a certain way that usually results in the non-white person saying and/or doing non-constructive things. These non-constructive things non-white people do, as a result of the words being used by the racists (white supremacists), result in the non-white person being mistreated.

Experiment:

In any verbal exchange with white people or non-white people, and the white person or the non-white person says anything, ask yourself the following question and respond only by telling yourself the truth and then respond to the person accordingly if necessary:

(1) Is it true?
Recording Data:

Use whatever recording device you can such as pencil and paper, audio recorder, video recorder, memory, etc., to make sure the interactions between people are recorded.

Expected Results:

(1) A lot of white people make true statements.
    (2) A lot of white people that you suspect as practicing racism (white supremacy) make true statements.
    (3) If what is said is true and you tell yourself the truth about what is said, there is a brief moment where you don't feel one way or the other about it.
    (4) A lot of non-white people make true statements.
    (5) You become morte focused on what a person is saying.
    (6) If you have a problem paying attention to what peole say that problem will go away with repeated experimentation using this experiment.
    (7) You will focus more on what is true than how you feel with repeated experimentation using this experiment.

Edward Williams
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was on a job once in 2003 where I called the Help Desk to get some help. In the process of getting the help I needed I had to ask a lot of questions. The person on the phone at the Help Desk seem to get frustrated with the questions I was asking at the time so I asked if there were someone else I could speak with but the person said there wasn't.

Later on I got an e-mail from the Supervisor at the Help Desk stating the following (Yes, I saved the e-mail. I have all of the e-mails I've ever received on the the jobs I've worked for the last 11 years):

Help Desk Supervisor wrote:
When you call the Help Desk you should be polite and courteous. You should never call the Help Desk giving the person you are speaking with a rough time for not knowing an answer to the questions you are asking.

I thought about this in the process of reading it. I sat back in my chair and thought about it some more. And then it came to me. I asked myself a question...Is this true?.

There were a lot of ways I could've went about responding to this e-mail. What most non-white people do that I have met is become emotionally attached to what people are saying. begin to feel this way or that way about what a person has said and/or done. Once I asked myself the question...Is this true?...I was no longer emotionally attached to what the person said. Of course it is true. Everything the person said is true. I should do those things. It doesn't mean I didn't do those things. I did those things and should continue to do those things.
So I responded by saying the following:

Edward Williams wrote:
Thank you for your response. I agree with everything you've stated. Can I count on you to answer the questions I need to have answered?

I never heard from the Supervisor again. Sometimes you get an answer even by the person not verbally saying anything at all. You have to figure out, based on the evidence, what the person is saying.

I got the most help I've ever received from a so-called Help Desk when I received that e-mail from the Supervisor of the Help Desk and read it. I received help from the Creator in my quest to be the most courteous person I can possibly be by asking questions...starting with asking myself one...Is this true? I didn't personalize the statements the Supervisor made by thinking he was talking about me personally. I didn't say I was gonna call this person and give them a piece of my mind. I didn't fly off the handle.

I took my time and read the e-mail and learned something about myself by asking myself one question...Is this true?. I learned one important lesson in attempting to become the most courteous and polite person I can possibly be... how to think my way through conversations.
Edward Williams
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

RecoveringAa wrote:
Greetings Edward Williams.

I could have used a review of this a few days ago as I attempted dialogue with another non-whte person. I sense I reduced myself to responding based on my anger which was generated as I experienced myself being attacked.
I wonder how long it takes to practice setting aside one's feeling state and responding based on pure logic.

Abena

According to my experiences that are based on my experiments, it is a sort of a "marriage" of emotion and logic. I don't set aside my feelings I balance my feelings (emotions) with logic. I have to make sure I do not let either one upstage the other. It has been my experience that emotions must be wedded (balanced) with logic and logic must be wedded (balanced) with emotions...so much so...that there is balance between the two until it cannot even be determined that there are two.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Counter-Racism Work/Study Project Forum Index -> Counter-Racism Science Project All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: