HomeCounter-Racism Radio NetworkCounter-Racism Television NetworkArticlesProjectsCounter-Racism Work/Study ProjectShopping MallContact
Secure DonationsSecure Donations  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile  Log inLog in

Talk of PEOPLE instead of "COUNTRIES"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Counter-Racism Work/Study Project Forum Index -> Counter-Racism Strategies and Techniques
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Josh

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Talk of PEOPLE instead of "COUNTRIES" Reply with quote

Talk of PEOPLE instead of "COUNTRIES"

SUGGESTION:

When discussing the issue of race, avoid referring to "countries" and instead refer to PEOPLE; specifically, White people and nonwhite people.

REASON/LOGIC:

People PRACTICE racism. The White supremacists use the word "country" to divert your attention from the PEOPLE who practice racism.

Alway put the focus on FUNCTION by refering to PEOPLE instead of "countries"

Josh
Edward Williams
Site Admin

Location: I am from everywhere I've ever been and everywhere I've never been

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Talk of PEOPLE instead of \"COUNTRIES\" Reply with quote

Josh wrote:
Talk of PEOPLE instead of \"COUNTRIES\"

SUGGESTION:

When discussing the issue of race, avoid referring to \"countries\" and instead refer to PEOPLE; specifically, White people and nonwhite people.

REASON/LOGIC:

People PRACTICE racism. The White supremacists use the word \"country\" to divert your attention from the PEOPLE who practice racism.

Alway put the focus on FUNCTION by refering to PEOPLE instead of \"countries\"

Josh

Josh,

Is there an Experiment that this suggestion was born out of?
Josh

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes sir.

But not in the usual sense. the identified behavior of substituting "countries" for people is a common observed phenomenon I often witnessed throughout many counter racist experiments.

I finally detected the pattern and decided to post the suggestion.

So in that sense, it was born from an experiment.

I think the key to detecting the pattern was my increasing attempts to force people to discuss race in terms of people relations instead of geographical relations. I used words to do this.

I noticed the confusion that resulted when I asked a question like:

Should Iran be allowed to have nuclear power?

An uncodified question like that resulted in a discussion of:

Shiites
Armienians
Cajun Americans
Ham sandwiches
thimbles...

So instead I asked:

Should nonwhite people have the same abilities as White people?

There was a very long pause, nobody wanted to touch it. I had to leave before I got an answer but I suspect the question was never answered.

I save all questions that don't get an answers because it is rare for the MASTERS OF WORDS to go silent.

I will incorporate the suggestion into a shorter experiment.

Stand by.

Josh
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Counter-Racism Work/Study Project Forum Index -> Counter-Racism Strategies and Techniques All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: